Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am overthehill (in more ways than one :( ) live in the Republic of Ireland and own a Hymer C524 with rear bunks which I travel in alone. My avatar is a pic of the virgin bog just around the corner from where I live, a great incentive not to leave the road 8O it was taken early spring, covered in wild flowers now.
I mainly stay this side of the water where the traffic is minimal and you can wild camp in plenty of places, wake up to birdsong instead of the roar of traffic. I have two dogs who take over the van completely when we go away, just as well I have plenty of room :lol: . They love it.

overthehill

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hi overthehill,

Welcome to our new site.

I wouldn't move far either if i lived in such a lovely place.

Our dog too loves the van and always demands the best seat in it.

I can see you have a sense of humour already. :wink:

·
Registered
203 Posts
croeso overthe hill
especially as we had a chat in the chat room recently.
Michelle and i are hoping to tour over there next summer so i hope we will be able to get together for a coffee and a face to face chat and you can tell us all about the wild spots over there. and tell us where the deilidh's are

:D
roi

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hiya Overthehill, welcome to the site.

Enjoyed the chat in the chat room earlier too. Maybe when we get round to touring Ireland we will have to drop by for a coffee (or something a little stronger).

:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
deilidh's?????

Please explain!

You will both be very welcome of course, hope you like Guinness!

overthehill

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Overhill,... from one newcomer to another.

You mention that you wild_camp in the south of Ireland, yet we hear over here that the Irish govt are cracking down on the travellers in Ireland, which is why we are now having such a problem here in N Wales with height barriers everywhere to keep the Irish travellers out..... it is a fact that you cannot access the beach from the Point of Air in N E Wales downn to Black Rock Sands at Porthmadog, with a high-top vehicle, due to the height barriers installed everywhere to keep the Irish travellers from camping on and polluting our coastline.... tens of thousands tof pounds to clean up after them the last time they hit us, as they are driven from their homeland, they are inhabiting ours.

A

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,
I'm not quite a newcomer as I had over 600 posts on here before the site crashed, I can't imagine that I had so much to say! 8O
I can't comment much on the Irish traveller situation as I have not lived here for long. It is true that there are height barriers and restrictions in some places, but many Counties have provided "halting sites" for travellers but if they decline to use these and go elsewhere I am not sure what else can be done. Many "wildcamping" places are not suitable for travellers, eg LIDL carparks are popular with motorhomes overnight (no height barriers as far as I know) and most pubs will let you camp in the car park for nothing, but there are many places big enough for a motorhome but not big enough for more than one or two so the travellers leave them alone. If you put up a post regarding particular areas then I am sure that the Irish members knowledgable about that area will advise on what is possible. I have certainly found dozens of places between the east coast and the midlands.

overthehill

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Hi Over the Hill

It's nice to have company from the Emerald Isle. We've rejoined too, I didn't think to do another intro. Will have to try to get round to it!! We love to wild camp here also, will have to get info on good spots from you.

regards

Arizona :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.