Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I don't actually have a clue about motorhoming but thought it seemed a good way to get a break at short notice...so......I'm just gonna jump in feet first hehe (i'm not impulsive at all!)

Anyway, I've found a Bessacarr e445 in pretty much an immaculate condition. Its a 2002 2.0 td ducato base, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had any major hassles with an e445 generally or this base engine before i go and hand over all my cash on Saturday??

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
Welcome and don't worry about not having a clue. I am still on your level after several years of motoring about.

Not our very first m\homes which were in the eighties but our first one about a few years ago we had a CI Coachbuilt (one with the lump over the front with a bed in it) with a 1.9TD engine.

Two things I would mention. Although the engine did remarkably well for its size I certainly appreciated the bigger engine in the next one I had and I would say to think carefully about your engine size as it is all about relaxing an not too noisey driving. In fact I would advise you not to get a small engine as that although others more experienced may disagree.

2.8jtd is a lovely engine and many members on here look upon it more favourably than the new engines and the 2.5 engine I believe should be the entry level for driving pleasure. There are plenty of m\homes out there and it is well worth taking the time as these things are not cheap and difficult to sell at least for the price you would like.

Second point. Second point I would make. Membership is £10 but when you get insurance you will find by mentioning Motorhomefacts that they will give you discount which means you get back more than £10 quid. No brainer really. Plus discounts on campsites and loads of stuff.

I forgot what my point two was and so the above was to fill the gap but do not rush into something just because you have already planned a trip to the coast on the Sunday. It could be the most expensive trip to the beach you have ever made.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Welcome to MHF. Our first van was a Bessacarr E425 with the 2.3 engine. Nice van and never had any trouble with it at all. I think you are wise to buy one around that age as a "first try". Even if you deceide that motorhoming is not for you, you will not lose much selling it on.
I am sure the bug will bite and you will love it though. Do consider the 2.3 or 2.8 engine for a more relaxed drive. But, have a test drive of the 2.0 and if you feel its OK then go for it! :D :D

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
lucky-1 said:
Hey everyone!

I don't actually have a clue about motorhoming but thought it seemed a good way to get a break at short notice...so......I'm just gonna jump in feet first hehe (i'm not impulsive at all!)

Anyway, I've found a Bessacarr e445 in pretty much an immaculate condition. Its a 2002 2.0 td ducato base, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had any major hassles with an e445 generally or this base engine before i go and hand over all my cash on Saturday??

Thanks!
Hi Lucky,

If you are who I think you are, on behalf of Johns Cross, thank you for the order.

Peter

·
Registered
633 Posts
The way I look at it is I used to cover vast distances in a day with only 330 horses pulling 38 tonnes. Even my old Autoquest 2 litre petrol could do better. Have to admit there is much more fun having a big engine but if time is a low priority then save money on a lesser engine rather than less accommodation.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Might I suggest that you also think about PAYLOAD - this is the difference between the motorhome and all fixed accessories (ie batteries, awnings, solar panels, mudflaps, etc.,) and the allowance the manufacturers say you have... Back in 2002 they were also not so good at saying what was and what was not included..... a good way is also to ask for a trip to the weighbridge to check, it has NOT been unknown that some vehicles - before adding passengers and their holiday gear, good etc., were heavier with no room for the latter.

It is really not something you should go into with your eyes closed.... Read the new FAQ sections on here - not sure if they are for subscribed members or all - but will be worth a read...these have been put together by members on here, using either their own knowledge or knowledge in the field of things like electrics etc.,

Whatever you do have a great time. And if you are who JCM Peter thinks you are, if they get it wrong I am sure you will be on here to tell us all - so Peter watch out..... ;-)

Carol

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, that was a quick response from you all! Many thanks guys for all your advice - I hadn't even THOUGHT about payloads!......and Peter at JohnsCross - I may well be who you think I am so please find me a nice hill to drive up on Saturday to test that baby!

Thanks again everyone - I not so worried about the unkown now!

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Pay your £10 and you can instantly get that back on your insurance - you know it makes sense....go on - join us, we are a helpful lot and someone will always try to help

Carol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.