Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have just joined the forum as we have a lovely 1998 Swift Kontiki and my children and wife love it... We take a month off every summer and head for Corsica, its such a great time, however I have a real problem.

Someone has damaged the rear ladder, it is a single piece stainless steel, factory fitted one, I thnk a lorry must have reversed into it in the car park the other day, I am so annoyed :evil:

Can anyone help me locating a new one or second hand, are there any spares or braking companies that can help?

Great to read all the articles and hope to meet some of you in the UK over the summer.

We have even been sking in ours and it was great fun!

Thanks for such a great site.

Cheers for now

Aidan

·
Administrator
18,638 Posts
Hi and welcome.

It would be difficult to source one from a breakers yard. not as many motorhomes as cars! You could try Swift directly - they are a member on here. If you subscribe your £10 you could contact them by a PM - supply your chassis number - they may have parts going back 10 years.

good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:) Hi guys and thanks for the welcome, its very much appreciated.

We have only had "Marvin" for two years, this is our 3rd holiday abroad this year, we nearly sold him in September as we were gassed in him at Dijon and they stole everything, right down to my childrens clothes and toys... scum bags, I hope they burn, sorry but as you can imagine it has really affected us, left stranded in the middle of France with nothing but a smile to wear and no money, just awful.

Still don't let the B&&^$£ards get you down as they say, I won't let them get the better of us, I now have a heavy duty ratchet strap and I strap the door from the inside from one handle to another, that way no one can get in!!!

The joke is, I have a sign company (direct link advert removed by Moderators)and I have offered to make some signs free of charge to put at the ports to warn people and what precautions to take,...guess what, the port authorities won't let me do it, I mean I ask you what is the world comming to,.. Sorry for the rant but you are the only people that would understand our concearn.. DO NOT STAY AT MOTORWAY SERIVICE CAR PARKS USE BONA-FIDE CAMPSITES!

Anyway, thanks for the offer Peter, my brother lives in Robertsbridge and although I live in Hampshire I was bought up in Kent and know it well (I know its technicaly Sussex but you know what I mean)

I will try and get over to you soon.

Do you fit rear cameras as mine seems to have gone kaput!

Thanks agian guys.

Alll the best

Aidan.

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Hi Joe and welcome!

Just one point, you may find that the Mods remove your link to your own company, strictly advertising is forbidden, it depends how they look at the link in context to the content.

That said, I hope you manage to sort out your ladder, I'm sure someone will have a resolve.

TR5

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:D Hi TR5

What a great car, I have a 1965 Sunbeam Tiger, a 1954 Sunbeam Talbot Alpine, and a 1953 Sunbeam Talbot 90 Coupe.

I have had a TR5 a genuine UK car and a lovely 26k miles from new TR6, I love Triumphs, I also race a 1960 Humber Super Snipe in the Classic Masters series, its pre 1960 saloon car racing as they have at Goodwood.

I also have a classic car business, but I won't advertise.

Thanks for the reply, its great to talk to other motorhome people.

Cheers

Aidan.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
joeandmary said:
. . . We have only had "Marvin" for two years, this is our 3rd holiday abroad this year, we nearly sold him in September as we were gassed in him at Dijon and they stole everything, right down to my childrens clothes and toys...

. . . DO NOT STAY AT MOTORWAY SERIVICE CAR PARKS USE BONA-FIDE CAMPSITES!
Can you actually PROVE you were all 'gassed' ? . . this subject has come up so many times & every time medical experts have stated that its impossible to 'gas' anyone inside a motorhome & then get in to steal, they would have to be equiped with self contained breathing apparatus.
BUT - you quite right is saying "DO NOT STAY AT MOTORWAY SERIVICE CAR PARKS" - but not right in only suggesting campsites . . practically 99.9% of motorhome owners who go across the Channel use the network of small village / town Aires with very little problems; Wherever you are here in UK or abroad you still have to take precautions & be aware.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
vicdicdoc said:
joeandmary said:
. . . We have only had "Marvin" for two years, this is our 3rd holiday abroad this year, we nearly sold him in September as we were gassed in him at Dijon and they stole everything, right down to my childrens clothes and toys...

Can you actually PROVE you were all 'gassed' ? . . this subject has come up so many times & every time medical experts have stated that its impossible to 'gas' anyone inside a motorhome & then get in to steal, they would have to be equiped with self contained breathing apparatus.
BUT - you quite right is saying "DO NOT STAY AT MOTORWAY SERIVICE CAR PARKS" - but not right in only suggesting campsites . . practically 99.9% of motorhome owners who go across the Channel use the network of small village / town Aires with very little problems; Wherever you are here in UK or abroad you still have to take precautions & be aware.
There we go again, there just has to be something happening to these peeps, experts saying its impossible???????? out of interest is there any mention of gassing on French and German M/H forums?

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
joeandmary said:
I will try and get over to you soon.
Do you fit rear cameras as mine seems to have gone kaput!
Thanks agian guys.
Alll the best
Aidan.
Hi Aidan,

Yes we fit cameras, maybe its fixable, one never knows.

If you haven't been down our way for a couple of years, watch out for the new speed camera just by the pub as you come into Johns Cross, 30mph and you are going downhill!

peter

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Hi Aidan

It's great to hear from another classic car enthusiast, there are three other's that I know of on this site.
If (no, when, if you have not already) you join MHF we can PM (private message) any information which is not relevent or allowed on the open forum.

It would be good to have a small rally somewhere for those into, or interested in, classic cars, and bring the car/s along as well!

Take no notice of some of the posts in reply to your "gassing", it is a very contentious issue, most saying it is impossible, I just read and keep quiet, and keep an open mind!

Hope you join soon, so that we can share and exchange "classic" views.

rgds,
Michael

·
Registered
734 Posts
joeandmary said:
Hello,

I have just joined the forum as we have a lovely 1998 Swift Kontiki and my children and wife love it... We take a month off every summer and head for Corsica, its such a great time, however I have a real problem.

Someone has damaged the rear ladder, it is a single piece stainless steel, factory fitted one, I thnk a lorry must have reversed into it in the car park the other day, I am so annoyed :evil:

Can anyone help me locating a new one or second hand, are there any spares or braking companies that can help?

Great to read all the articles and hope to meet some of you in the UK over the summer.

We have even been sking in ours and it was great fun!

Thanks for such a great site.

Cheers for now

Aidan
I have a brand new ladder I ordered for my 2001 Kon Tiki - it took over four months to come by which time I'd changed my motorhome. It's never been unpacked and is in the garage somewhere - but as I remember it isn't stainless but powder coated white. Perhaps it's not the same as yours. Post a photo of yours on the van and I'll compare it - if I can find mine ! (you should see the state of my garage!)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:cry: Ok, now I am upset, for anyone to suggerst that we were not gassed in some way has either:

1. Never travelled in Euriope recently.

2. Not watched the national press / tv

or 3. Just don't want to accept the facts.

YOU WILL GET GASSED AND THIS IS HOW THEY DO IT ACCORING TO THE FRENCH POLICE AND THEIR DEPARTMENT OF TOURISM, WHO NOW HAVE PUT UP SMALL SIGNS WARNING YOU!!!!

They use fly spray, yes fly spray!!!!!!

This only works if your windows are open, which unfortunately ours were because it was so hot and our air con only works off the mains.

They lean in and spray you in the face, this will put you out for about 30mins to an hour depending on your age etc, this is what the police chief told us in Dijon.

We found the evidence by our window on the ground in the morning, an empty can, no finger prints, no surprise there.

Yes we were niaive, stupid and dumb but ask yourself this:....

How could someone manage to break the door locks, enter our motorhome, ransack (and I mean ransack) all the cupboards and drawers, steal everything including clothes, DVD's, CD's etc, open the glove box, open all the cupboards above our heads, take the cases from undre our bed without any of us waking up ?????

This is how flys are killed by it, it basically suffocates them.

NOW YOU KNOW, ITS TRUE AND ACCORDING TO UK IMMIGRATION AT CALAIS IT HAPPENS BETWEEN 3 AND 5 TIMES A WEEK AT PEAK SEASON.

IT IS NOT SAFE TO STAY ANYWHERE OTHER THAN A CAMPSITE, THAT IS FACT.

Sorry but you are wrong, very wrong but do carry on staying at service areas maybe you won't believe it until it happens to you!

Thanks

Aidan.

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
Spray

joeandmary said:
:cry: Ok, now I am upset, for anyone to suggerst that we were not gassed in some way has either:

1. Never travelled in Euriope recently.

2. Not watched the national press / tv

or 3. Just don't want to accept the facts.

YOU WILL GET GASSED AND THIS IS HOW THEY DO IT ACCORING TO THE FRENCH POLICE AND THEIR DEPARTMENT OF TOURISM, WHO NOW HAVE PUT UP SMALL SIGNS WARNING YOU!!!!

They use fly spray, yes fly spray!!!!!!

This only works if your windows are open, which unfortunately ours were because it was so hot and our air con only works off the mains.

They lean in and spray you in the face, this will put you out for about 30mins to an hour depending on your age etc, this is what the police chief told us in Dijon.

We found the evidence by our window on the ground in the morning, an empty can, no finger prints, no surprise there.

Yes we were niaive, stupid and dumb but ask yourself this:....

How could someone manage to break the door locks, enter our motorhome, ransack (and I mean ransack) all the cupboards and drawers, steal everything including clothes, DVD's, CD's etc, open the glove box, open all the cupboards above our heads, take the cases from undre our bed without any of us waking up ?????

This is how flys are killed by it, it basically suffocates them.

NOW YOU KNOW, ITS TRUE AND ACCORDING TO UK IMMIGRATION AT CALAIS IT HAPPENS BETWEEN 3 AND 5 TIMES A WEEK AT PEAK SEASON.

IT IS NOT SAFE TO STAY ANYWHERE OTHER THAN A CAMPSITE, THAT IS FACT.

Sorry but you are wrong, very wrong but do carry on staying at service areas maybe you won't believe it until it happens to you!

Thanks

Aidan.
Fly Spray, not heard of that but have heard mentions of EasyStart or EasiStart.

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
French & German

Codfinger said:
vicdicdoc said:
joeandmary said:

There we go again, there just has to be something happening to these peeps, experts saying its impossible???????? out of interest is there any mention of gassing on French and German M/H forums?
I Speak a reasonable amount of French and do use some French and some technical German French & German websites I read, though I do not contribute due to level of either language. However, I have never yet come accross any mention of Gas Attacks but have read stories of German and Dutch campers being attacked or attempted robberies.

Maybe Boff or someone could confirm this?

Trev.

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
Personal Experience

wynthesurfer said:
Guess what Teemyob the OP has just confirmed it !!! it`s called personal experience.

Wyn
Hello Wyn,

I was not discounting the OP, just never heard of flyspray before, Easystart yes.

We have our own Personal Experiences of attempted robberies and attacks which you can read here too.

Regards,
Trev.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All you have to do is go to the local Aire stops and they are clearly there warning of breakins and robberies, they direct you to not stay at them!

No I am English, I do not promote French campsites, what I do promote is the safety of my family and others like me.

Do you post replies like this just tom get a reaction???

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.