Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I registered for the site a while ago and never got round to posting but now our dream is becoming more of a reality (after we hired over easter and caught the bug big time!!), I thought I'd get some advise from the experts :D

My family (which consists of my husband and our hyperactive 1 yr old golden retriever) are now ready to purchase our first motorhome. We've been to a couple of show's over the last couple of years to have a look at the different layouts and been reading through some of the site here to get some more information. After the research we've done, we thought we were down to 2 motorhomes that were were looking to buy brand new - the Peugeot Boxer XC250 Elddis Autoquest 130 and the SWIFT ESCAPE 622 100 4 Berth Motorhome. However, after reading some of the posts on here I'm now not so sure if we should be going brand new.

If it's not to cheeky to ask a couple of questions:
1. Should we be buying brand new?
2. If not, do you normally get a warranty with second hand from dealers and how old would you recommend going?
3. If we should buy brand new what are people's thoughts on the Peugeot Boxer XC250 Elddis Autoquest 130 and the SWIFT ESCAPE 622 100 4 Berth

Sorry for rambling on but look forward to the replies!

Lisa

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Hello and welcome,
This all comes down to personal choice, it's very probable you'll buy your first van and then want to change it :roll: having read the trouble people have on here with the new Fiat,Peugeot, Citroen vans I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole. You stand to lose a lot of money and possibly suffer a lot of heartache. My advice would be to decide exactly what you want and then look for a good secondhand one.If buying from a Dealer be very cautious, plenty of people who post on here have had trouble trying to get the nice man who took your money put your van back together. I find my Symbol to be OK for two and reasonably easy to get down narrow roads. If I wantes something bigger I would probably get one of the earlier Auto Sleeper Clubman vans as the fibre glass body doesn't normally have any damp problems. If you are reaonably DIY competent consider something around 20 years old for around £8000, where are you in the country? dealers to avoid can be p.m.'d to you, enjoy the search and don't rush,
Regards,
Chris

·
Premium Member
35,807 Posts
New or second hand is a good question. Pro´s and con´s.

New:

Pro. In theory pristine condition
Factory tested
You may have a manufacturers warranty, but perhaps not if it an
import

Con Usually not well tested and will always come with faults
Depreciation in the first year is very high

Second hand

Pro Less expensive
If from a careful owner will be in good condition have service
history
Should have had any faults sorted out
The major depreciation should have already happened

Con May have been abused, although that should be obvious
May have been changed because there is a problem which the
previous owner could not resolve with dealer or base vehicle
manufacturer

Buying from a dealer you would expect a one year warranty. Be clear whether you are being offered a dealer warranty or an insurance type warranty. In my experience a dealer warranty is best.

I am sure others will fill in the many gaps in my post, Regards, Alan.

·
Registered
765 Posts
As Stickey says, very much a personal choice - we were tempted by a new Autoquest when we bought (Escape wasn't around then) but our choice was to go 2nd hand, because of
1. initial depreciation
2. if lucky you'll get a lot of "goodies" on a 2nd hand van for not much more cash - ours had satellite TV, solar panel, 2nd leisure battery, bike rack, etc etc - only worth bearing in mind if you'd have tempted in buying them anyway
3. I'd read of a number of people having teething problems with new vans and hoped we could avoid some of these - I think that has proved to be true.

We got a 12 months warranty from our dealer (Tyne Valley Motorhomes) and although as an insurance-based warranty it doesn't cover everything we certainly found it well worth having.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
A few days ago, one of the forum members was desperately trying to sell a motorhome - have a look at that and see what you think!!!

Me, and this is only my very own opinion, second hand, for the numerous reasons already given. Yes a dealer gives a 12 month warranty on a second hand vehicle. Be prepared to change within the first two years or sooner.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Being a skinflint and according to my friends not known to through money around, I work on the assumption that immediately I come out of the showroom it becomes second hand and drops in price by 20%.

After having a good look around I settled on an older Hymer and havent regretted it.

Even if you used it for two years and then gave it away for nothing I still would not loose what I would on a new M/H.

It all depends whether you would want new and shiny or old and robust.

Tom.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Chris's advice above is sound.

I would definately recommend buying 2nd hand from a private seller.
If you are unsure get it inspected by a professional before parting with any cash.

Its unlikely that your first van will be ideal and you will be able to sell it on without too much pain providing of course that you havent bought a disaster.

I bought my first van last year and although its fine its only after using it 5 times that we have come to the conclusion that its too small for us. However its probably worth more than I paid for it last year because I waited for the right deal.

Good luck with your search

Nick

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
This is my own peronal and humble opinion:-

Buy something around 6 months old. It will have had all the teething troubles sorted out, lost the initial depreciation, and still have a few months full manufacturers warrenty left on it.

I bought mine 6 months old from a private seller (MHF member) saved £9,000 on the price of a new one and have no serious problems or regrets. It cost me £20 admin fee to transfer the Autotrail warrenty to my name.

Trevor

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Starting off then my opinion is a used van.. It's always easier to trade up to a brand new van later but buy new and not like it, loose a large amount of money very fast !!! We originally bought used and after 12 months wanted something bigger, part exed with dealer and got almost all our money back on a new van..
HOWEVER when we wanted to sell new van 18 months later we lost a load..
If your not in a rush to get one for this summer then buying out of season is another benefit..
Your in a good position with no part ex... Good luck..

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hi and welcome. Make no mistake, dealers have enormous mark ups in new motorhomes, look no further than £15000 off new units at the same time as the £ is falling. I disagree with the view that you must always buy used to not loose money. We have just picked up a new B614SL from Hymer, its our 4th new unit in 9 years and the first three have all made purchase price or better, then start fighting for extras. This time we got awning, bike rack, solar panels and batteries moved and programmed and £3000 of Birthday pack 85cm dish plus an in dash DVD player radio....negotiate and fight.

Think very carefully about what you are going to carry around with you, we always buy garages because we have hybrid bikes which we use a lot and want access to, think about Winter and whether you want your tanks insulated. Feel free to contact us any time we will help you if we can

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Lisa,

We were in the same position 2 years ago. Hired a van, loved it, then bought our own.
Being cautious, we bought secondhand on the basis that if we made the wrong choice we would lose less if we decided to change.
We bought a van three years old, from a private seller. It was immaculate inside, with only 6,000 miles on the clock, and we saved 40% on the new price. Fortunately, we made the right choice for us and still love it.

Dunworkin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All

Thanks very much for all the replies. I'm taking from this that second hand is probably the best route to go.

We're not in too much of a rush to have it for this season, however, if we managed to then all the better.

Our search continues.

Thanks again.

Lisa

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.