Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the above double din radio. Can connect my phone audio functions through it and all the steering wheel controls work with the telephone functions all are fine via bluetooth, as is the music player.

There's a sticker on the unit that says Smartphone Navigation, I'd like to mirror my phone and use the radio screen for navigation but I follow the instructions and can't make that happen. I've watched a few YouTube videos and I'm pretty sure that the unit isn't seeing my phone when it's plugged in to the usb socket on the dash. I have no way of knowing if that socket is intended as the connection to the radio. Can anyone enlighten me on that.

The instructions say that a particular Pioneer cable is needed and one of the videos I saw said that it needed an additional cable to make it compatible with the AV inputs on the back of the unit.

Can anyone shed any light.

I will take it out and have a look tomorrow but I'd like to know more before I do..

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An android OnePlus Nord CE and an iPhone SE Drew.

·
Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks John.

Reactions: eurajohn

·
Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks.

Blue tooth pairs without problems, audio only.

I get limited connection with usb in the sense that the unit does see the phone but just won't mirror it so that I can't see the navigator.

I have connected/disconnected and used endless apps that offer to allow connectivity. Uninstalled and reinstalled apps and allowed them to try one at a time. The connection I am hoping for is the one offered by Android Auto which should allow the head unit to mirror the phone fully and offer the same touch screen functions the phone has.

I have the full Pioneer manual and a quick start guide. Though there is a sticker on the head unit saying Smart Phone Navigation neither of the manuals mention it at all and there is not a word in either of them about getting the phone's apps to appear on the screen. The Pioneer web site says that full connectivity can be achieved using a usb cable, that isn't happening and I have tried three different leads. Connected to the van usb port the unit sees nothing of the phone. Disconnecting the usb lead that goes to that port from the back of the unit and putting a good quality lead between the phone and the unit the phone does become visible on the screen where I am offered access to my photographs and can hear my audible books, my radio and play my music.

There are numerous YouTube videos covering the topic and not one of them says mirroring can be done with a usb cable, despite what Pioneer say. The video people use the av din plugs. I suspect that since I have sound with the usb connection I may be able to add the visual element by using the av inputs instead of usb. I have ordered a cable to try that. That cable connects via the 3.5mm jack on my phone and will leave my usb port free for charging. Fingers crossed.

The youtube solution uses a conglomeration of cables. One to go from usb C out of the phone to HDMI and then another to go to the DIN av inputs. They say that works but it won't charge the phone. To remedy that they added another hub which can take the two cables and has a power wire that can add a charge for the phone. I think I have that right. I wasn't interested in it because it's a mess.

If it wasn't for the navigation claim on the unit I'd have long ago assumed it didn't have full connectivity, but if it can mirror the phone's navigator as they claim it's hard to see why the rest wouldn't follow.

·
Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The original USB cable comes from the usb port on the back of the head unit and terminates at the dash USB socket. It acts as a general USB charger and also, according to Pioneer web sites I think I mentioned, it is intended to act as a data connection.

On YouTube many people say that some USB leads do the data transfer and some don't. They say it's a quality issue. I'm betting that Fiat weren't too bothered about quality when they put that lot together. As I say the unit does see my phone when I leave the fitted one out of it and just go direct with a good quality lead, but I still don't get mirroring, or any video.

The cable I have ordered is A/V. Like this one; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Padarsey-Camcorder-Smartphones-Speakers-Straight/dp/B07MJL3BBR/ref=sr_1_3?crid=380S580RIIZHE&keywords=3,5+mma+3+rca+av+cable+de+vídeo+camera&qid=1663950575&sprefix=3+5+mm+a+3+rca+av+cable+de+vídeo+camera,aps,100&sr=8-3&th=1

I haven't managed to get any video at all. I'd like to understand how the bluetooth input is working fine for audio and not at all for video. As I mentioned I had a VW hire car a few days ago to which my phone connected seamlessly and automatically every time I turned the ignition on. That was done with Android Auto which seems not to run on the head unit. Perhaps I should be looking to see if the software in it can be updated to add the Android Auto functionality.

·
Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sort of fixed using a Miracast dongle into the video in din plug and the 3.5mm jack on my phone to the din inputs for audio left and right. The Miracast does have audio outputs but I couldn't get a peep out of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts