Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quickie to say g'day to everyone here. My name is TezzaW and my husband and i are having our first European Holiday in August / September this year.

We are taking the plunge and instead of doing the 'tourist busses' which everyone seems to do, and hiring a campervan.

I have so many questions that i hope you all won't mind - just want to try and get it reasonably right! I am just about to buy All The Aires France 2nd Edition - We aren't even sure where to go, although we plan to drive through France, Italy, Switzerland and back to Paris where we are starting the hire.

Any ideas, any advice would be much appreciated.

Kind regards to you all.

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Welcome TezzaW.

I can't help at all I'm afraid.

We rarely decide until we get off the ferry - certainly not in any detail. 8O :lol:

That's what motorhomes do best. :lol: You just go where you like, when you like, and don't have to plan anything unless there is a specific reason to do so (like my earlier post about cycling the canals in Brittany).

I'd suggest you also get the two volumes of the Caravan Club "Caravan Europe" guides, since they have arguably the best collection of municipal and other sites of any guide. All in English and mostly submitted by real campers so the comments are not at all biased.

If there are certain places you want to visit, just build them into a very loose itinerary, and take each day as it comes. If it piddles down that's a good day to move on. If the sun is shining brightly . . . . tomorrow will be soon enough! :roll:

Hope this helps

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

thanks for your advise - i guess i will get used to the idea of not being on a time schedule. I just purchased the books suggested so hopefully they should arrive in Australia before we leave.

we have a few ideas but we have heard that it is a good idea to keep off the toll roads as it can be quite expensive. Thats the part of the trip i am investigating now. yikes this is so exciting -

:?

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Re: thanks

TezzaW said:
we have heard that it is a good idea to keep off the toll roads as it can be quite expensive. Thats the part of the trip i am investigating now. yikes this is so exciting -
:?
It all depends on your time schedule.

If you really want to get a long way in a hurry the toll roads are great, and carry much less traffic than the ordinary roads.

(As you have not been here before you will be terrified at first by the amount of traffic, especially in the UK and major towns on the Continent.)

Toll roads are also boring, as you see none of the localities you are passing through. They have recently gone up in price, but it all depends on your immediate priorities whether you use them or not.

Ordinary roads can be very slow, especially in France where the traffic lights sometimes change as often as twice per hour!!!! (I exaggerate only slightly! :roll: ) but you do get to see the "real" countryside.

There's nothing nicer than dawdling along and stopping at frequent intervals for a wander around and a cup of coffee at a small local cafe.

Bring plenty of memory cards for your camera. You will be taking photos as if it was a machine gun!! 8O

Keep the questions coming, and I suggest you start a separate thread to ask about the specific problems of driving a van through Switzerland and Austria. There are restrictions which could catch you out and cost a big fine.

Likewise all the regulations you need to be aware of - many of which are detailed >>in here <<

Hope this helps

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.