Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Just like to say what a great site

I need some advice Im new to the motorhome world and my divorce is through I had planned to head to the states and buy a cheap RV and travel there for a couple of years but due to the credit crunch and the ex wife I cant afford it now.
I plan to travel here and go fulltiming for a while , Im new to motorhoming I have around 30k to spend on a motorhome I quite like the hobby 750 or The Burster Elegance ,I have had a look a few different floor plans and I would like a fixed bed

Would I be better off buying from a dealer or private and is there any other makes I should look at I do like some of the bessacarr and auto-trail models .

To be honest Im very confused theres so many makes & models so I need to see as many as possible before I buy but its hard to look at them all and I am sort of leaning towards the German makes and I would like any advice you can give me .

Regards and Thanx for any advice

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,659 Posts
Don't forget the lesser known makes, we looked at all the well known brands, then spotted our current MH for sale outside a garage, liked it so much, we bought it, it's as near to perfect as we've seen so far despite a huge amount of looking, fixed bed, decent sized bathroom, garage, dinette, 2.8 Turbo intercooled diesel engine, a roof you can walk on to take advantage of any views you come accross.

Laika 2001 7RG as a bonus for some reason they don't seem to attract high prices, but are now part of hymer, and quality is as good too.

Good luck both finding a MH and using it.

Kev.

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
I would consider getting a lhd m\home and buy from Germany. It will be very much cheaper and newish second hand ones are value for money. There are for some a few problems with the Fiat engine so if I were you I would be looking at a Merc or Ford. I expect I would favour the merc but I believe the Ford is excellent.

In my view a fixed bed means space that is only useful when you go to sleep. I am a U lounge freak which gives me the largest bed there is and masses of space during the day. I am in a minority on this.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Hi Zepp and welcome.

You made one good decision already in joining the site, the second would be to invest £10 and become a member, you will find that this cost will be repaid many times over.

From a personal point of view I think you have already highlighted some good requirements.

German vans are considered generally to be built to a higher quality and are often better prepared for all year round use. Something you'd need to consider if you are full timing.

I would always buy privately as you should be able to get a lot more van for your money. It used to be good to do a personal import from Germany, but the poor exchange rate has put an end to that.

A fixed bed is a nice idea, but they do take us a lot of space which could otherwise be used. A good compromise is an A class (like a Hymer) with a drop down bed over the cab. This can be left made up ready for use at the end of the day.

£30K will buy you a perfectly good van.

The best advice I can give is DON'T RUSH, look at plenty, write a list of must haves, stick to it, a wait for the right deal to come along, where someone is very keen to sale.
Look for a very well spec'ed van, as extras cost a fortune to put on a new van, but are worth very little at sale time.

Extra's I would be looking For

Cab Air Con
Good security system (Strikeback)
Cruise Control
Satelite system (If you're a TV watcher)
Oven

Hope this helps and good luck

Andrew
:D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi - Like Kev N Liz we have a Laika. 680 No fixed bed for the exact reason stated - you only sleep in it at night! We have tons of room with a small table and single seats one side (only 2 of us) and L sofa the other side. Rear galley and bathroom. Agree with Kev, unless we go to about 9 - 10 metres there is nothing that compares for space. Quality build too.

By the end of the year we plan to semi full time in it (2, 3 4 months) with 2 dogs and 2 cats - we had a trial run with the gang for 3.5 weeks and it worked really well.

For obvious reasons she is now called ARCA

Good luck in your search and try some French dealers - Laika are very popular there.

Karen & William Mac

·
Registered
528 Posts
Have a look at the shows... Like Newbury this weekend... and there will be lots of layout and models to have a look at... No need to buy there but there will be a lot of options in one place...

As Andrew said don't rush ... most motorhomes are a compromise of some kind... We love the Hymer B544 layout.... Drop down bed and good large living area for the rest of the day...and superb build quality.

Good Luck

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
I accept the exchange rate has been hammered but because of the quantity and choice of used motorhomes it has to be worth a look. However, I assumed, probably wrongly that you would be spending a lot of time in Eurip (I'm joining UKIP 8) ), which of course, if you are not then certainly buy here.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Zepp said:
I do plan to spend a lot of time in Europe pusser and I have looked into importing but Ive just been through a long divorce and I am hoping to buy something in the next 4 weeks and using it asap and start enjoying my life again lol
Understand where you are coming from

:lol:

If you can get to Newbury show this weekend... if you have the cash you should be able to get a good deal....

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
Zepp said:
I do plan to spend a lot of time in Europe pusser and I have looked into importing but Ive just been through a long divorce and I am hoping to buy something in the next 4 weeks and using it asap and start enjoying my life again lol

Just looked at some Laika models they look very good thx
Looks like a good year for you coming up. Please don't forget to report in with what happens on your travels and with pix if possible so us that are imprisoned in our life style can also enjoy some reflected moments.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi and welcome
I have had a few motorhomes and at last have found the one that gives me everything I want and need, it is a Laika Kreos 3010.

As the members have said, it would be a good idea to go to one of the motorhome shows and have a good look inside the motorhomes,
I am very happy with mine

Good luck
Jakki

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Hi, and welcome!

For me, build quality is everything, and if you intend to use it in the winter, then properly winterised is the way to go.

As has already been said, the Germans know about build quality and winterisation! A double floor is essential to be properly winterised - heated space containing the fresh and waste water tanks, all pipework inside etc.

An A-class offers the luxury of a drop down bed at the front, thus not wasting any space during the day. A good usable shower and decent kitchen are important too.

I love my Arto, and it offers all the above. They can be got for around £30k in the uk quite easily, probably 2004 onwards. Also consider the little Flair with the single bed at the back. You will find some on www.mobile.de both at dealers and privately.

Hope this helps, enjoy your travels

David

ps the Arto and Flair ranges have a double aluminium sandwich wall construction - water ingress is rarely a problem unlike with some makes!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanx again for all your help.

Im going to start looking at these first Fiat Eura Mobil Integra I690 HB 2003 theres quite a few on sale for around 30k to 40k they seem to have everything I want but I will also use the time to check out other A class models when im looking at the above I also like the Burstner Elegance range

Paul

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.