Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please can you tell me, I haven't had my camper van long,
Just sorting the WIFI tv etc, bought Netgear M1 and monthly unlimited SIM £16 per month from Smarty, which doesn't seem to work, but thats beside the point.
Before cancelling smarty and selling Netgear mobile router.
I realised through phoning my mobile phone supplier EE that I can use personal Hotspots to connect to my smart TV in my van.
My question is , why doesn't everyone use their phone, it seems so much better value ! or is there something I am missing !?.
I would appreciate everyone's views.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,424 Posts
Hi Clive, and welcome. I don't have a TV in the MH but I believe it uses a fair bit of data so you'd have to have a lot on your plan.

Also, mobile signal may not be good enough wherever you are for streaming.

And also, also, thanks to Brexit most providers now limit the amount of data you can use abroad to about 25-30GB per month - that will fairly inhibit your streaming, I'd say!

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Hi Clive and welcome

I use my phone as a hotspot so I can watch live sport on the laptop while I am away on the Continent. I reckon we used around 40GB on our recent trip to France which was around 3-4 hours daily internet browsing/forums/email etc across 2 devices plus around 15 hours of live sport. Luckily I blagged a load of free data from EE before we went.

My TV in the MH isn't smart. In the UK I carry and use my EE 4G router from home as we have unlimited data but it doesn't work in the EU and have a NOWTV stick which I use for Netflix and Sky Sports.

You can't always rely on the signal either as Jean mentioned. Plus EE have a 50Gig 'fair use' policy on unlimited deals although I guess you could pay for more if you wanted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your views both of you, I really appreciate it,
I do have unlimited data from EE and recently signed up for a year for £28 a month on my mobile phone and will use it for Hotspots when travelling in the uk.
It does seem the best offer , rather than buying a mobile router, sim card etc.or will the signal not be strong enough ?

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,424 Posts
.... or will the signal not be strong enough ?
I guess it depends where you go... I looked at the EE coverage but it seems you need to put in your postcode (and device n it didn't know about mine 😒) but not to see different areas you might visit. A bit stupid.

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Thank you for your views both of you, I really appreciate it,
I do have unlimited data from EE and recently signed up for a year for £28 a month on my mobile phone and will use it for Hotspots when travelling in the uk.
It does seem the best offer , rather than buying a mobile router, sim card etc.or will the signal not be strong enough ?
The hotspot will work on the Continent too if you plan on doing any foreign travel but just beware of their fair use policy of a cap of 50Gig. It is currently suspended due to the pandemic but who knows how long that will last for.

Travelling around the UK I have only encountered one bad area thus far using my EE router: a black spot in Cardiff at the municipal campground there. This was hard to believe as it is just off the city centre but according to the warden I spoke to there, it's a big problem for local residents too. Aside from that it varies depending on where you go but I have managed numerous places in Wales and England so far.

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,670 Posts
I never even thought of using the phone for TV streaming, Liz and I both download from Netflix, Youtube and iPlayer before going away, we used to use a PVR and play recorded programs backed up by DVDs from charity shops.

You cannot download direct from YouTube without subscribing, you have to download a free program called YTD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts