Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I recently bought a Compass Classique based on a Peugeot 2.0 turbo diesel (2004).

I've just noticed that when I switch on the ignition, the dashboard display briefly reads "Oil High". I've checked the oil level with the dipstick and it comes just below the maximum level.

Is this just a sensor telling me the oil level is high, or is it a warning I should be concerned about?

I'm due to go on holiday tomorrow so it would be comforting to know if everything's OK.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Our 2004 2.8tdi also shows oil high when the ignition is switched on.
It has done this since we bought it new.
Like yours, ours was just below max but being concerned, I popped along to the local Peugeot garage to be told not to worry about it. So long as the dipstick shows max or below then its fine.
Even now with the 'van having done 18000 miles, its 6 months + 2000 miles since the last service, and we still get the Oil High message.

I don't think you have a problem - enjoy your holiday!!

Chris

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi

My Ducato based turbo diesel was serviced recently and the oil level appears a few mm above MAX on the dipstick.

Of course I'm using Fiats earlier (1996) version of the 200n Oil Level Sensor Indicator System ....... my eyeballs! 8O :lol: :lol:

MH has never used up oil between services ... should I take some out, or is a few mm extra "ok"?

Thanks for any advice

john

·
Registered
4 Posts
My understanding is that high engine oil level causes a problem when it is high enough for the crankshaft or big ends to dip into the oil. As it is going to swill around when driving anyway, I would be quite happy to use mine with the level a few millimetres over. However I am not an expert and you may want to ring the service department of your local Peugeot dealer and check with them.

If you want to lower the level you would need a very small pipe to suck it up the dipstick hole - maybe washer pipe or aquarium airline would fit but it may be impracticable. That leaves you with dipping the dipstick then wiping it about 5000 times (!) or removing the sump drain plug then putting it back with the oil gushing out, when it will probably run right up your arm and all over the drive. So the easiest way of lowering the level might well end up being to drain all the oil out and refill it with new oil to the correct level.

Regarding the electronic oil level indicator fitted to later models, it may incidentally check the sensor when the ignition is turned on, but the purpose is to inform you of the oil level before you start the engine - it varies from 'Oil high' via a line of dashes showing intermediate levels, to a spanner (= 'Whoops!')

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.