Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have views on the pros / cons of the choice between 'add-on' / replacement roofs such as still seem to be the choice for Autosleeper (including County and Vivanti motorcaravans), and the original vehicle manufacturers' high-tpo roofs which are now common with other converters (such as IH, Devon, NuVenture, Murvi, Timberland etc) ?

Chris

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Good Point, something I could never understand. There are long wheelbase Fiats and Boxers with good high roof levels yet convertors use the fibreglass fabricted units. The other thing is I would have thought the original steel roof would give the body more strength.

It may well be down to cost. If you compared the base price of one of these manufacturers high tops against lopping and retrofit the latter may well be cheaper.

When they build coachbuilts they get a bare chassis and cab not a complete van or pickup. I wonder if they buy panel vans less roof?

What ever the reason if you compare numbers of these "converted high tops" they out number original tin roof versions!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Isn't it also a question of availability? If you look at commercial vehicles most of the popular base vehicles seem to come w/out the factory fitted top? We looked at buying base vehicles last year, and the question of fitted high top seemed to confuse many suppliers. :?:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.