Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 25m hook up lead has just failed. Luckily I carry a spare 15m one, so problem averted for now.

I checked the plug and socket wiring and the terminals were fine: nice and tight. I cleaned the pins and checked the socket (which doesn't ever get un-plugged tbh as its inside a locker). I also checked along the length of the lead and it was sound in terms of its physical integrity: no damage to the sheathing.

Anything else I'm missing?

Or at 8 years old has it just seen better days and perhaps all the winding and unwinding has cracked one of the copper wires inside the sheathing?

·
Premium Member
28,554 Posts
Dunno from here G but I have plenty of spares as and when your this way. :ROFLMAO:

Ray.

·
Premium Member
10,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ray(y)

We are planning a Normandy/Brittany/Loire trip for 2024 so if you can hang on until then we'd appreciate it :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: raynipper

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Our 25m hook up lead has just failed. Luckily I carry a spare 15m one, so problem averted for now.

I checked the plug and socket wiring and the terminals were fine: nice and tight. I cleaned the pins and checked the socket (which doesn't ever get un-plugged tbh as its inside a locker). I also checked along the length of the lead and it was sound in terms of its physical integrity: no damage to the sheathing.

Anything else I'm missing?

Or at 8 years old has it just seen better days and perhaps all the winding and unwinding has cracked one of the copper wires inside the sheathing?
If you've got a multimeter (of course you will as it's an essential bit of MH kit;)) you could check the continuity of each conductor to confirm faulty.

·
Premium Member
10,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
D'you know...I knew this would come up. I said to Mrs GMJ "My multimeter is in the house"...so no, I don't have one with me but I will as son as get home! :D

• Haha
Reactions: raynipper

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
D'you know...I knew this would come up. I said to Mrs GMJ "My multimeter is in the house"...so no, I don't have one with me but I will as son as get home! :D
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

That's why I've got one permanently at home and one permanently in the motorhome, just like damp meters.(y)

Don't ask me where the multimeter is in the motorhome right enough!:unsure: Once the rain's off I must go and have a rummage!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
10,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have one lined up to buy tomorrow which will then lie in the MH. (y) Any earlier and it'll be at home before us!

I'll check the continuity on the lead as soon as I get home hoping that the 15m lead will last us until then...unless we see a camping shop before we get home in which case I'll buy one (a new lead). I cant believe that they are now over 40 quid!!!!

·
Premium Member
28,554 Posts
They are only 2.95e.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
I have one lined up to buy tomorrow which will then lie in the MH. (y) Any earlier and it'll be at home before us!

I'll check the continuity on the lead as soon as I get home hoping that the 15m lead will last us until then...unless we see a camping shop before we get home in which case I'll buy one (a new lead). I cant believe that they are now over 40 quid!!!!
Yip, the cost of copper nowadays!

·
Premium Member
4,834 Posts
Just a suggestion.

Cut six inches off an end and remake the plug.
Check to see if the cable will work.
If not cut six inches off the other end and remake the plug.

If a cable breaks down it is usually at one of the ends, very seldom in the middle section.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Just a suggestion.

If a cable breaks down it is usually at one of the ends, very seldom in the middle section.
Unless he's run over it!

A bit like the guy next to us yesterday. Reverses down off his ramps and yanks the hook up out the side of his van before continuing over his cable drum!:eek:

Anyway, it'll take him ages to measure six inches (twice)!:whistle:;)

·
Premium Member
4,834 Posts
Just a suggestion.

I should have asked if you have checked both the connections at each end to ensure one of the inner cables hasn't come adrift from the connector.

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
I'm sure you will have checked the connections properly........as you said.
The multimeter will just show there is a break........which you probably know already......but you still have to find it.

I would recheck the connections and then maybe cut the cable in half.
You should then be able to make up a 12.5 cable for the time being.
Sherlock is assuming there is only one break :):alien:

·
Premium Member
10,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all

The cable terminations in the plug and socket were secure and tight. I haven't driven over the cable so all I can think is that one of the wires has lost its integrity somewhere along its length. I'll check it out when I get home now as we are due back on Sunday. For now I'm using the 15m one. We only have 2 more sites to stay at until we get home so fingers crossed the 15m lead will be long enough.

Looking on Ebay, I can get a 25m (2.5mm core) lead for around 36 quid so not too expensive for something that we use so frequently.

Once again thanks (y)

Reactions: Gellyneck

·
Premium Member
28,554 Posts
Every time I went to the Le Mans 24 hour race I would always carry 250m. of power leads G. You never knew how far from a plug you were going to be.
So I still have maybe six or eight extensions in the shed. It was a hangover from the film location days when seeking some power source in the middle of nowhere.

Ray.

Reactions: GMJ and erneboy
1 - 20 of 24 Posts