Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from 4 day trip and noticed that the back of the hob and the worksurface between it and the wall was kinda warm. Underneath the hob is the fridge so we did kind of wonder if the two were somewhat connected (badly as the case may be!!). Our question is this, is this a good thing :D or a very bad thing :cry: If its bad then what do we do about it. If its normal well thats a good thing innit?
Ta muchos

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
You can expect some heat from around the back of the fridge, this is quite normal, the weather has been favourable these last few days, I would imagine that this, and the continuous operation of the fridge for a few days, will be within normal parameters and no need for any concern.

Regards M&D :)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
How hot is warm ? If it is just a bit warm to the touch would agree with Mandy and Dave, can't really think it is anything very serious or the worse would have happened by now :( I would have thought.
Bit like asking if a bull is dangerous when you are 3/4 of the way across the field :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Hi,

that is definitely the fridge. Absorber fridges produce a considerable amount of heat, especially when running on gas and even more especially at high ambient temperatures.

Of course "hot" is a subjective term, so it might be that either the ventilation of the fridge's back side to the outside world is insufficient or that it is not properly sealed against the inside of the van. But all that can be perfectly OK and you will still feel the heat on the work surface and the hob.

Best Regards,
Gerhard

·
Registered
565 Posts
If the area is warm, perhaps its an indication that the air flow through the external fridge vents is not enough. Although the weather has warmed up, I would be a little concerned as to how hot the area will get in some serious warm weather. You could wait and see what happens, but you should think about checking the airflow between the two fridge vents, is there a baffle plate of some kind to help direct the heat out of the top vent, and perhaps consider fitting a/some small fans to help evacuate heat from the top vent, these are normally controlled by a small thermo switch that you fix to one of the cooling fins on the back of the fridge.

If the heat does get excessive, it can lead to other problems like the fridge not working correctly, but also the delaminating and warping of various panels.

·
Registered
41 Posts
hi
i am haveing the same problem with my fridge
when runing on gas or mains the fridge generates a lot of heat ,
the sink alongside it gets hot to the touch as do cupboards along side the fridge ,this heat is worrying
temp outside is cool so fridge should not be strugling ,but it is haveing problems staying cool
this has only happened over the last week all was ok before then even on hot days
any ideas on what i can do to repair the fridge which is 4 years old

Pat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.