Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12,963 Posts
If it is a serious problem then try a Deet based spray. We bought a can of Jungle Formula heavy duty in the USA and it kept us totally bite free even at an evening ourdoor BBQ in Yellowstone in August ! Insects are normally attracted to me in droves so this was remarkable.

I couldn't bring it back as it was an aerosol can but I shall certainly buy more this summer. I think it is a good idea to take precautions when using - like not inhaling it as you spray and not exceeding the stated does as it were -ie re-applying too often.

If you want total protection then I'll come with you....

G.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
:D I was going to mentio Deet Grizzly but it can have some bad effects on some skin. I will also mention Fabric Softener Sheets rubbed on the skin. Scented or unscented. :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
That is one of the wifes hated things on our usa trip ,everything bites .We use a product called OFF it smells nice spray it on and enjoy the bbcue.We did get caught with the local insect no see em coz they are so small you cant see em,but hell dont they pack a punch that itches for weeks ,they do this in non aerosol so will be bringing a few bottles home

·
Registered
52 Posts
Avon "skin so soft" woodland fresh. It works for me :lol: Get the spray bottle, it is easier to spray in your hair, the lotion gets a bit messy :lol: :lol: The best thing is, it will not have any adverse effects 8)

Crackpot.

·
Registered
157 Posts
We have used a product called "Extra Tail " for many years, it is really intended for use on horses and can be obtained from tack shops. It was recommended by a couple from the Lake District who spent a lot of thier spare time orientering. Can be obtained as liquid or spray.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My wife uses Avon skin so soft body oil, she never gets bitten, She puts it on when she has had a shower or bath and it seems to last all day. This year I am going to try it and I don’t care what I smell like as long as it keeps off the bugs!

·
Registered
153 Posts
4 years ago we broke down in Glen Coe and the lads who came to rescue us had skin so soft in the cab. they don't leave home without it
we have used it for the last 4 years with great success
in the van we burn citronella candles at the peak flying times and they stay out of the van.
the first year we didn't spray before bed and woke up with bites on exposed places so don't forget that.
I have been told it also works for mozzies and other pests but like loury777's idea
problem is she can run faster than me and the b*********s get me

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Tiny flies and midges really do spoil a day or evening for me. Then again I am not to partial to hornets or those horrible things with a head one end, a long thin backbone and then their arse presumably at the end.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Jungle Formula for me, but it tastes foul so keep away from lips, but it does really work and those spiral Mosi coils work well indoors/in the van too, put foil under them when burning to catch the ash :wink:

·
Registered
134 Posts
My wife was reading a Woman's mag recently which suggested eating Marmite regularly helps. You sweat it out of your skin and the insects stay away - everybody else as well me thinks!
I am going to give it a try this year in Italy anyway, this is where the b***s always get me.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I asked my doctor was there anything I could use to avoid getting bitting. Each year I would come home from holidays looking like someone who had chicken pox as I would be bitten so much. He advised me to take vitamin b1, so the whole family took these 2 weeks before we went, not one of us were bitten whilst everyone around us got bitten. No need to worry about putting on cream and missing bits. Aparently your skin exudes a slight aroma (can't be smelled by the human nose) and the mossies and other insects don't like this. I have tried everthing else and still managed to get bitten.

·
Registered
12,963 Posts
Apart from a seamless coating of Extra Strength Deet I've not found anything that will stop me being eaten. The bites then swell and blister and well...I won't go on.

I like the sound of the Vitamin B1 fix ladybird. What dose do you take every day?

G.

·
Premium Member
9,766 Posts
Hi

The best stuff we ever found was "Everglades Extra Strong" which was bought at the ranger station in Everglades City - they really need it there! Only problem was that after applying it and handling my video camera, the plastic camera case started to melt where it had been handled - dread to think what they put in it.

Seriously, my wife is a "must bite" for every insect known to man so, in preparation for our Italian lakes trip I have ordered one of the Fiamma door screens, We will see if that keeps the little b*******s out. I also bought her one of those electronic fly swats so she can lie in bed swiping them. It's a very labour intensive way of getting rid of them but very satisfying when they explode in a blue flash against the mesh.

Gaspode

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.