Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Vendor
18,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got hold of Thetford toilet cassette cleaner on sale at a mh dealer here in France, but obviously the instructions on the outside are in every language possible bar English !!

Has anyone used this stuff before and how is it used, i.e. do i simply clean and flush the cassette as normal with fresh water and then pour this in, does it need to be diluted, how long to soak etc etc ?

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
What is its main purpose?
Is it to get rid of the scaley stuff which seems to collect?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Good question dave,

BUT.........i want to know what it is that motorhomers clean their toilet bowls with and secondly what do the flush out there pipework with, as so many chemicals affect plastic and rubber seals
For example: Miltons baby sterilizer is corrosive to metal...sinks etc

Do you ladies out there just use a common discinfectant or what!!!!!!!

Answers please :roll: :roll:

Paul

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hi Paul
We use a product called SDP Chempro this is used as a sterilizer for home brew beer making equipment. It is safe on all plastics and metal including aluminium and was the only cleaner / sterilizer recomended for use by Carver for the cascade series of water heaters (they have aluminium heat exchangers and bleaches or Milton corrode through them ). It's available from most good beer home brew shops.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: How to clean toilet cassette using thetford cassette cle

nukeadmin said:
Just got hold of Thetford toilet cassette cleaner on sale at a mh dealer here in France, but obviously the instructions on the outside are in every language possible bar English !!

Has anyone used this stuff before and how is it used, i.e. do i simply clean and flush the cassette as normal with fresh water and then pour this in, does it need to be diluted, how long to soak etc etc ?
I have never used such stuff for cleaning toilet. In general I make use of vinegar or Harpic along with scrubber to clean toilet. Share your experience about toilet cleaning

·
Premium Member
17,936 Posts
In this SEVEN year old post, are the products and usage still applicable :lol: :wink:

tony

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Yes, the products are still around, we use Aqua-kem Blue in the toilet flushing system which is a Thetford product.

To flush/clean the cassette we use a neat cup ful of Aqua-kem, shake the cassette well (with all the stoppers in!) for a few minutes, then use a hose to flush it out.

To clean it properly you'll make a bit of a mess, but we do it after every trip and it stays nice and clean and no smells.

Put a pint of dilute fluid into the cassette after cleaning and shake around before putting back into the toilet.

Peter

·
Premium Member
11,420 Posts
Don't bother with the Thetford Cassette Tank cleaner, its rubbish. Did as per the instructions and left it for at least 16 hours but hardly budged any of the limescale build up etc.

Theres no substitute for stripping the tank down as far as you can and getting your hand in there with a scrubbing brush, my missus can vouch that it works. :lol:

Pete

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
peejay said:
Theres no substitute for stripping the tank down as far as you can and getting your hand in there with a scrubbing brush, my missus can vouch that it works. :lol:

Pete
Yes there is; Lidl Bio washing tablets. I use them in the cassette when in use and don't get that limescale but when I did have the Bio tabs got rid of it. Cheap as chips but not as tasty.

Harvey

·
Premium Member
23,068 Posts
We bought a number of bottles of the cassette cleaner from a dealer that was no longer going to sell it as it had proved unpopular....

Used it once and it did make the cassette reasonably fesh, but frankly no more than any other product.....

But as we had bough 6 bottles for 50p a bottle we were noi unhappy and will use it up (eventually).

We use Aquakem Blue every time and the Aquaken Rinse (Pink) in the flush tank, once again we bought a lot ex dealer at a cheaper than normal price (but beware as it does lose it's pink colour with time)...

Our problem (which we have never resolved, is the black stuff that builds up i the flush tank and then comes through with the flush......

Does anyone have any clue how to remove that (without stripping the entire thing apart) - it is unsightly but that is probably all.......

The cassette cleaner has no effect on it (been there, tried that), neither does the pink rinse, so any ideas would be gratefully read and I will TRY to remember to thank you for ones that work!

Thanks in advance in anticipation (there, that's done now), :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Good afternoon,

The advice Thetford provide for your issue is as follows;

Dilute 50ml of Milton in to 10ltrs water
Fill up your flush tank
Leave for 24-48hrs
Flush through

I hope this helps,
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
144 Posts
loo cleaning

Good evening,
Tried it once & followed instruction. Rubbish results.
As someone else said , roll your sleeves up & dive in.
Bio washing liquid should be much better, I suppose effectively softens the wee, so reduces lime scale build up
Barrie

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
For the best results is to get a wild campsite cat and drop it in with with bio washing powder. works a treat cat has never been so clean, the bog also comes up a treat.

Andy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.