Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vendor
18,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another consideration for travelling that my wife bought up, was how do we keep clothes washed etc whilst away full timing abroad, now i know you can do some of the following, hand wash clothes, use launderette facilities on campsites etc, even these portable washer things that you put in the shower room (Anyone used one of these)

Just wanted to know what the consensus of opinion was ?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I have seen people with these portable washer things and they seem to work.

Full/Long timers say they tend to use site facilities maybe once a week and also charge batteries etc at same time.

Now me, everything ends up in a plastic bag for washing and eventually reappears washed, quite clever dont know how its done.
We do have a little low wattage travel iron if you feel inclined, not seen it used much !!!!

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Once a week book onto a site and use the washing facilities.

OR

If you are travelling you can use a container (bucket) with a sealed lid.
A few items, not too much water you don't want the things to float and detergent.
Lid on and while you travel the items rub together in the bucket to effect the cleaning.
Remove items from bucket and rinse with clean water.

You can use a bigger container, perhaps one of those 18" x 12" x 6" boxes but it must have a sealable lid!

We've used that method for some of the 'smalls' for years although we still bring a lot back home.

Gillian

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I'm with Gillian,
1. buy nice bottle of wine
2. book into flash site with top of the range laundry and shower and preferably free hot water
3. pile everything in the wash
4. relax under very hot powerful shower
5. return to van and open wine
6. don't forget your laundry :wink:
8)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
hello

The only time I have ever used a washing machine on a campsite was when we were holiday site managers. It was a necessity.

I prefer a good spindrier to a washing machine.

I tend to soak all whites in one bucket of cold water with that special cold wash stuff & coloureds in another. I do it regularly so it doesnt mount up.
I use an old meat basher to agitate the clothes then between us after rinsing we get as much water out as possible & hang out to dry. Do it on nice day only.

The longest we have been away is a calander month.

Motorhomer.

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
I like Twooks' version best.

With kids there's too much to do by hand, I use the site facilities or the local launderette in Britain. French sites we've stopped on have always had laundry rooms.

I suppose if I was full-timing abroad I would wait till it mounted up then use a site.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Think i must agree with you there Twooks but in reality i never liked the washing machines on camp sites. I prefer not to have to put everything all in in one go. Still with only two of us its not so bad. Other half always does the cooking & washing up so its not so bad.

I can still have my shower & then enjoy a nice bottle of wine.

Motorhomer

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
if you have a mixed wash you can always go mad and take over two machines, in practice i try to keep it to one wash whereever possible. but i do and have always objected to carrying too much stuff.
I reckon if i can go away for 3 months with only 7 days worth of knicks i'm too old to change my ways now. :p
8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.