Motorhome Facts Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi . Has anyone out there towed a car weighing approx. 1400 with a Fiat 2.3 150bhp (euro 5+) (ours will be behind a 6.99metre Hymer 598 )- just wondering how the motorhome is likely to perform doing this ? we are looking at going to Europe and to places like Morzine and Les Gets in the summer - so some big hills. Any comments gratefully received. Also would towing with an A frame make much difference to towing on a trailer ?

·
Premium Member
9,164 Posts
.. Also would towing with an A frame make much difference to towing on a trailer ?
It would if you get stopped by the feds in some mainland European countries!

Cant hep with the engine part but probably best to check out the legalities of the countries you are planning on travelling through and visiting if you plan an A Frame.

Graham :smile2:

PS Welcome to MHF!

·
Premium Member
27,446 Posts
Hi Jaffa.
I have tried towing a one ton Citroen ZX with my 2.8Jtd on an A frame and it was a bit of a struggle.
I only did it to and from Le Mans and the UK and it was hard work after having large RVs with 300hp.

If you are going to spend time in one place it makes sense to have a car there. Not sure the HP my old Fiat has but probably in the 115 region.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
11,983 Posts
Our last motorhome was a Fiat 2.3 130bhp which weighed 4,200kg fully laden and we towed a 950kg car. I suspect that this will be similar to the combined weight you are proposing and we had no problems. On long hills we would have to drop through the gears (it was manual) to sometimes 3rd but it was never a problem.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Ditto what Peribo says. We tow an 900kg car (on an A frame) with a 130bhp Ducato. Yes you do have to use the gears a bit but it's no big deal. If you've a 150bhp then I'm sure it would cope fine, even with a larger car.

Regarding the difference between A frame and trailer. If you only plan to tow in the UK then you shouldn't have too many issues in the UK using an A frame. It's not legal but it's not illegal either :wink2:

Touring in mainland Europe may be different. Some have no problems, others have been stopped and forced to uncouple the car on an A frame and drive it separately. If you tow the car on a trailer then there is no problem............. having said that you will need to add the weight of the car to any proposed trailer and ensure that the total weight doesn't exceed the maximum towing limit stipulated for the van by Hymer

Phil

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
i have an autotrail scout 23ft long 3500kg on a 2.5td its a 1995 van with a good enging with a fsh. i have a 66 plate kia venga car {auto} which is slightly smaller than a fiesta. do you think my van will tow the car up the rygate hill on the m25 ? that's all I'm worried about, as we go to the new forest quite a lot. i wont ever go abroad so an a frame will do, and i passed my test in 1983.

·
Premium Member
9,554 Posts
The very FIRST thing you need to check on is whether your MH is plated to tow the weight of vehicle you are looking at. I ran a 2008 Autotrail Cheyenne 696 for a few years (GVW 4250kg)
It had a very low towing capacity. I could just legally tow a Smart car on a very lightweight smart car trailer (with only about 20kg spare) A Smart Car is about the lightest car you can get, a Fiesta at that time was much too heavy! Don't forget that the weight of the A frame must be added to the weight of the trailer (your car)

If you contact AT they may be able to advise you of the maximum weight of braked trailer you can tow over the phone, they will need the VIN number in order to ID your particular MH.

Reactions: kampaman59

·
Premium Member
11,222 Posts
i have an autotrail scout 23ft long 3500kg on a 2.5td its a 1995 van with a good enging with a fsh. i have a 66 plate kia venga car {auto} which is slightly smaller than a fiesta. do you think my van will tow the car up the rygate hill on the m25 ? that's all I'm worried about, as we go to the new forest quite a lot. i wont ever go abroad so an a frame will do, and i passed my test in 1983.
If your car is automatic, as this link suggests check your car handbook re suitability before towing, it used to be problematic on older cars, modern auto boxes may be different now.

https://www.theaa.com/cars/news/ask-edmund/motorhome-towing-an-automatic

Terry

Reactions: erneboy
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.