Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I am new to the Forum, this is my first post. I would be grateful for assistance.

I have a 1993 Hymer 544, despite having it serviced regularly, I have a re-occurring problem with the fan belt.

For the past 5 or 6 years the fan belt has been "screetching" and will, on occasions not charge the battery. I have tried everything to cure the fault.

I have fitted recommended Fiat belts: plus all other type of belts supplied by various service agents. On a recent trip to Wales, an Auto Elecrtical Company fitted a CONTI-SF AVX 10X940 belt. This cured the problem for a while, but when I was preparing the vehicle yesterday for our latest trip, the problem re-occurred. Not a screetch but no charge on the battery meter.

I trust that someone might have a simple solution to my problem. As I have said it has been serviced by various companies to no avail.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
565 Posts
For the past 5 or 6 years the fan belt has been "screeching" and will, on occasions not charge the battery. I have tried everything to cure the fault.
After fitting any belt its always best to re-tension it after a couple hundred miles as they take a while to bed in (especially the multi ribbed ones), plus they never sit quite right in the pulley's when first fitted

I have fitted recommended Fiat belts: plus all other type of belts supplied by various service agents. On a recent trip to Wales, an Auto Electrical Company fitted a CONTI-SF AVX 10X940 belt.
The only time I use an oem belt is for the cam belt, otherwise they are not worth the extra cost.

This cured the problem for a while,
Just needs re-tensioning as pointed out above.

but when I was preparing the vehicle yesterday for our latest trip, the problem re-occurred. Not a screech but no charge on the battery meter.
You don't say what sort of battery meter you have, if its an Amp meter, its quite possible that your batteries are already fully charged and don't need any further charging. Alternatively, if it's a voltage meter, it may be worth while waiting a while to see if the voltage rises. If you have some sort of smart charging system, rather than the common split charge rely type, it may be charging the vehicle battery before it starts to charge the leisure/house battery.

I trust that someone might have a simple solution to my problem. As I have said it has been serviced by various companies to no avail.
You'll probably find the belt has worked loose through not being re-tensioned after installation. If not re-tensioned and left to screech, this accelerates the wear of the belt and so increase your problems.

In industry, there is a product to avoid as its only a temporary fix, its called belt dressing. This stuff is a very tacky spray you spray on the belt and pulleys. Yes it will cure the problem for a short while, but will collect allsorts of air borne dirt and rubbish, but after a while it looses its tacky properties and turns to a grease!

·
Registered
4 Posts
hymer belt

Hi
We have also had this problem & like yourself initially changed the belt.
This stopped the screeching but still occasionally had no power to the battery.
My husband traced the problem to a sticky solenoid on the starter motor.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Folks,

I have just returned from holiday and first and foremost I must thank both of you you for your excellent advice.

I travelled from South Bucks. to Pembrey in Wales. From start to finish I had no problems with my fan belt screetching until the day I left to come home. It had been stationary for two weeks and when I started it up for the first time it screetched for a few seconds and then stopped.

I think I could say that this was a result, once again thank you both for your help.

Cheers

Drew

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.