Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you?

Oh blow, why does the photo taken on the mobile always turn on its side. :mad: and it´s impossible to stand it the right way.

Anyway up :laugh:, the loaf on the left was left for 10 minutes before the smaller one on the right was ready to put into the cold oven before turning the oven on to 200°c, in this ten minutes the first loaf had risen as high as the bread I used to make without the vinegar which took 45 mins to rise in a warm place.
I have been making my own bread for 30 years or more and did not know until now that vinegar helps the dough to rise, did you?

Attachments

Reactions: patp

·
Premium Member
36,045 Posts
Yes. I read it last week while making a buttermilk substitute so I could make soda farls. They turned out lovely by the way.

Then, showing off, Mrs Eb made fruit scones. I whipped cream amd we had a local strawberry jam with them. Lovely. Jam is mermalade here. Confusing.

Reactions: patp and JanHank

·
Premium Member
28,159 Posts
Cos it's Apple Jan.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. I read it last week while making a buttermilk substitute so I could make soda farls. They turned out lovely by the way.

Then, showing off, Mrs Eb made fruit scones. I whipped cream amd we had a local strawberry jam with them. Lovely. Jam is mermalade here. Confusing.
It´s marmalade here Alan, but I think you probably know that.

I´ll have to check on farls, never heard of them. Oh kind of pancakes, I´ll have to try them.

·
Premium Member
36,045 Posts
It´s marmalade here Alan, but I think you probably know that.

I´ll have to check on farls, never heard of them. Oh kind of pancakes, I´ll have to try them.
Not really pancakes Jan. A sort of bread, often eaten toasted but superb with a fried egg on top and a few rashers of bacon. https://delishably.com/baked-goods/Irish-Soda-Farls

An indispensable part of The Ulster Fry, a meal we eat for dinner perhaps twice or three times a year these days. Very bad for you and utterly delicious: https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/theulsterfry_92143

Didn't know it was marmalade there Jan. I certainly should have though.

Reactions: patp and JanHank

·
Premium Member
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not the sort of meal one needs if your trying to lose a few ib.

Its not pronounce the same as our marmelade, like quite a few German words, they are spelt almost the same, but sound all together different.
Spellcheck altered the spelling on my first post :frown2:

Mr. Google will translate the sound.

·
Premium Member
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What did the bread made with vinegar taste like, Jan? Are you baking with wholemeal flour or white?
Both loaves had vinegar in Pat, caraway and sunflower seeds ground and onion bread made with a mix of white, rye and wholemeal Dinkelmehl which I have no idea what its called in English.
The flour you use has no relevance.

You cannot taste the vinegar in the bread, I used Apple vinegar.

It tastes superb.

We used to buy Tesco Value sliced bread to feed to our visiting wild ducks when we lived in England, it always had a very vinegary smell I thought, maybe they used an excessive amount of vinegar .

·
Premium Member
36,045 Posts
A little lemon juice will do the same job as the vinegar. In the soda farls it's he acidity in the buttermilk that normally does it, but if you don't have buttermilk the substitute is made by adding acid to any other milk.

Reactions: JanHank

·
Premium Member
8,458 Posts
We use a breadmaker and it never needs vinegar or any other acid. Just wholemeal flour, yeast, butter, sugar, salt and water (from memory as Chris is in charge of it now).

·
Premium Member
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We use a breadmaker and it never needs vinegar or any other acid. Just wholemeal flour, yeast, butter, sugar, salt and water (from memory as Chris is in charge of it now).
I had a bread maker, didn´t like it and gave it away, I sometimes make 4 loves at a time, slice up and in the freezer then I thaw out in the microwave as many slices as I want, ___in the microwave, not thawing on its own which dries it, then it´s almost like fresh bread from the oven. I don´t wait for it to rise put it in a cold oven turn oven on to 200c for 50 mins, after 10 mins cut along the top with a very sharp knife to prevent it rising too high and leaving the oven :grin2:
I´d been making my own bread for a very long time before I discovered this method.

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
Yes we have one of those too Pat. Useful as it has a delayed timer option which means I can set it to come on in the early hours so the bread is reading if Mrs GMJ wants some for breakfast plus its cool enough then for lunch.

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
Oooo Steve...major Dad joke alert there!

·
Premium Member
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You know this thread is nearly 2 years old :smile2:.

2 loaves are going to be made today, one in a thermomix the other in my Kenwood, one from a packet of bread mix I bought accidentally one from flour, yeast etc. Both will be put into the cold oven before turning it on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.