Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week when travelling from Den Haag to Brugge the nice lady called Henrietta who lives in my TomTom asked me if I wished to use a toll road on the route, not being aware of any toll roads in the area I had a look at the map and saw a toll to cross the river Schelde to the NE of Antwerp. I thought it might be a nice bridge like the Pont du Normandie or such and worth a few Euro, it would also save 24 kilometres, about €2.50 of diesel and 10 minutes of my time, I have little of the former and loads of the latter.
With no advance signage that we noticed we went down into a hole (no bridge) and emerged after a few hundred metres to be confronted by Dick Turpin demanding EIGHTEEN EURO !!!!. After the shock subsided and a discussion took place it transpired that there are only TWO categories of vehicle, cars and anything over 2.5 metres heigh,so being over the magic 2.5M we were required to pay the same as a 44 tonne 6 axle HGV.
Next we arrived at Brugge, or should it be called bruised, to find that the charge for the Aire by the bus park has been increased to €22.50 1st April to 30th. September, this does include ehu but drinking, grey or black water services cost 50 cent each. Up the road at Camping Memling you get the lot for the same price plus hot showers, bread delivered to your door and a lovely peaceful plot in a wooded area, plus a selection of major supermarkets a short walk away.
So, in conclusion, I would advise avoiding the tunnel at Antwerp and the Aire at Brugge unless you like throwing the hard earned away.
Oh, and one last thing, the roads in Belgium are still as crap as ever, I was looking forward to getting home to 'ould Ireland' and our relative billiard table surface roads here.
Other that that we had a lovely trip, vsiting the UK, The Netherlands, and our beloved France.

Colin

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
So, in conclusion, I would advise avoiding the tunnel at Antwerp and the Aire at Brugge unless you like throwing the hard earned away
Sound advice- not on our plans this year anyway but thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,415 Posts
Jean-Luc said:
Next we arrived at Brugge, or should it be called bruised, to find that the charge for the Aire by the bus park has been increased to €22.50 1st April to 30th. September, this does include ehu but drinking, grey or black water services cost 50 cent each.
I agree, too much for an aire and the 50cents extra for water is just greedy. Quick tip if you do visit again though - in the coach park next to the payment machine there is a free water tap, fill up there on your way out. Its only 50 cents but its the principle, every little helps :wink:

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Hi,

Dutch and Belgian MH clubs have been campaigning against the pricing scheme of the Schelde Tunnel for years. But to no avail. :( So there is only one thing to do: Avoid it.

Same goes for the Brugge aire. The city councillors obviously have well understood the rules of capitalism, and take what they can. And as long there are still enough MHers ready to pay that exorbitant price, they will continue to do so.

Best Regards,
Gerhard

·
Registered
689 Posts
Jean-Luc said:
Up the road at Camping Memling you get the lot for the same price plus hot showers, bread delivered to your door and a lovely peaceful plot in a wooded area, plus a selection of major supermarkets a short walk away.

Colin
But the site at Camping Memling only has very limited space for motorhomes - about 25 maximum - and lots of people book in advance. It could fill up, as it did when we were there earlier this month (Ascension-tide weekend in May).

Dr (musical, not medical) Roy

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
Mugged

I was mugged on B&Q car park recently.

I asked the Ice Cream man for two 99's. He prepared them and then demanded £5 (yes FIVE POUNDS). I paid but protested that I did have a mortgage to pay. To which he replied "heared them all before, where is your striped jumper and mask etc." He was a bit of a basty nastared so rather than not pay I turned to the lady with 2 kids in the que and told her to nip to the Supermarket for some Hagen Dazs, it would be cheaper and tastier than this whipped vegatable oil at £2.50 a blob. She walked away!

Thanks for the info on the tunnel and Brugge, always try to get into Memling myself.

Trev.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Chapter, our tunnel was the LIEFKENSHOEK TUNNEL, at least your one is 6.6Km long, ours is only a few hundred metres for €18.00.
Last year I got a Seafrance return ticket, Dover-Calais-Dover for the same price !!!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sorry to but in but it's what Teemyob said. It reminded me of being in Turkey some years ago. ice cream generally was around 20p each. At the harbour on our last day, I asked how much it was (notoriously expensive apparently) and he said around £1.50 (in Turkish lire you can appreciate). I let Janet choose hers first and whilst I was choosing mine she was eating hers).

I had £3.00 ready to pay.

That'll be £14.00 ???????? £1.50 you said!!!!! I particularly asked you!!!!!Yes. £1.50 per scoop (x4) plus £1.00 for cone each :oops: :oops: :oops:

I argued the point about it being 25p along the way and that was criminal prices. He just shrugged his shoulders and held out his hand.

He got it. I took the ice-cream off Janet and gave it him back. Her lips suddenly went down but was in full agreement and off we went.

However, first trip to Sorrento, Italy (and Eurozone) a few years ago resulted in me working out the price for 2 (very large and divine) ice creams after we left the shop. 20 Euros......erm?????....about £14.50 back then when the pound was stronger.

However, those were abroad and not in a B & Q carpark but again expensive none the less.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.