Motorhome Facts Forum banner

I hope this helps ?

4K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Dudger 
#1 ·
Does this mean anything? I hope this helps

Do some people actually post hoping that it doesnt help?, ie post to hinder or confuse. Well of course we all know that some people actually do post just to be a pain, but annoyingly and most unhelpfully they dont sign off "I hope this hinders"

It ranks up there with the contrived "have a nice day" repeated without feeling or meaning by large chain employee's.

I'll end with I hope this doesnt cause offence, its only an observation and thought for the day

Ya'll have a nice day ( and I truly mean that )

#3 ·
I think this is English reticence coming to the fore George. Despite the image that some hooligans project we aren't a very "in your face " nation and we don't like to interfere with what other do ( well, all except our government don't that is) Hence the very timid: " I hope this help " Read " I don't want to interfere....."

Someone mentioned on the waving thread that lots of people wave and flash from the anonymity of their vans but won't come up and say hello on site. Same syndrome !

That's my psycobabble for the day....hope it helps ?

G 8)

#4 ·
I can't think of anytime since I have been on this site of someone deliberately posting something with the intention of causing confusion. I'm not really sure I understand you post in full George.

But the only thing that springs to mind which I suspect has some relevence to you observation is someone posted for help on measuring the height of a motorhome.

This ended up with loads of hilarious ways of doing it which could not have been helpful to the poster but nevertheless, within that fun were some serious posts which would have given him\her the info needed.

But I suppose there is a fine line between having a joke and giving mis information.

#5 ·
HTH...?
I think it has a place George.

There are occasions when a post asking for help has been 'up' for a couple of days without response.

Although I may have no personal knowledge that might answer the query sometimes a bit of lateral thinking evokes a possible solution.
In those circumstances I will possibly add HTH at the end of my post.

Sometimes it probably does help and at other times results in me being shot down by a technophobe with great experience who then gives the correct solution.
But I did set out to help and it pushed the post up the list if nothing else.

It also brings a post to a close if all else fails.

HTH :lol:

#6 ·
hi
It ranks alongside someone wishing you "good morning" when it is pi**ing down but I shall still add it to the bottom of some of my posting as and when I think to ....just because I honestly do hope that it helps....and maybe if the help is appreciated, I may even get a reply to tell me so.

In this post though I see no reason to add it because I don't think it will help you in your quest to understand English as she is writ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike

#8 ·
Well I, like pusser and peejay, do not understand what you mean exactly George, but if you mean someone using this term is taking the p****, I can only surmise you are overreacting to something that has been said.

I think most people, myself included at times, use this term in the hope that what they have posted does in some way help, at least that is my intention, when I have used it.

Sorry I can't be of more help. :lol: :lol: :lol:

MHS...Rob :D

#9 ·
Hi all

Not against Jokey replies at all Pusser, I even attempt humour myself on occasion, Grizzlies Explaination seems to be along the right lines.

This was only a semi serious TIC post anyway

Its not about anyone PJ, just a rage against the machine post, looking at the strange and quirky (no I am not saying you are strange and Quirky) way we feel we have to add something that purports to show our intent, when surely the very act of taking time to reply shows it

#10 ·
Hi Rob

Its not about anything in particular, just a comment about strange and seemingly pointless appendages to posts

Hope this helps

#13 ·
Well speaking personally - that's me,
myself , I
think it helps enormously to have a GSOH on here at all times and I WLTM a lot of you but only those of you TDH N/S who don't like C&W music as I can't stand it and maybe any BMW owners with FSH and SEi, CC, EW etc.would be equally OK. I have always found you and your advice to be very very helpful and can't really understand what all the fuss is about but then I'm often confused.
However, must go so TTFN and SWALK
MM

#14 ·
mauramac said:
Well speaking personally - that's me,
myself , I
think it helps enormously to have a GSOH on here at all times and I WLTM a lot of you but only those of you TDH N/S who don't like C&W music as I can't stand it and maybe any BMW owners with FSH and SEi, CC, EW etc.would be equally OK. I have always found you and your advice to be very very helpful and can't really understand what all the fuss is about but then I'm often confused.
However, must go so TTFN and SWALK
MM
That was worth it George. you got a kiss out of it. I normally get PMT.

#18 ·
Well I'll admit to being one of the 'hope this helps' brigade. Yes, I do hope it helps so its not a seemigly pointless appenage to a post, I really do hope it helps but can never be quite sure :wink: . I may have got the wrong gist of what is required, I may be 'teaching my Gramdma to suck eggs' but I do try and offer what help I can. There are lots of you on here with who are very knowledge but honestly I don't always (no sorry - often ) understand the technicalities being a total novice and technophobe, but I'll not let that stop me offering my limited help and always hope it helps :) I really enjoy the posts which are obviously very 'tongue in cheek' and light-hearted.

I hope this helps :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.