Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lovely 2004 LDV Convoy conversion has a nasty habit of cutting out when I'm driving her. The battery is fully charged even after the engine has died. (Usually when I have a line of traffic behind me.) I've had 4 auto electricians look at her but none would spend more than 10 minutes with her. One wouldn't even speak to me, he'd only address my son though he was told the vehicle belonged to the female who would be paying him!
One was dismayed that there wasn't a plug for his whizzy computer thingy. One handed me a relay and told me to get under the dashboard and look for a broken one. And the last one did say it might be the earth strap but as it was howling with rain it wasn't something he could take on that instant and he was running late for another job. Needless to say, each one charged £40 or more for turning up.
Please, do you know a decent auto electrician in the Leeds area that you can recommend ? One who knows older vehicles perhaps and doesn't need new fangled on board computers to tell them what's going on?
I've become increasingly isolated this year after a stretch in intensive care and other hospital stays. I need my camper so I can get out of the house without the worry of where the nearest loo is! I think I'll go crazy if I can't get out and see some of the world - even if it's only the local woods seen through the windscreen from the car park!
I'm pretty desperate so I don't mind a bit of groveling begging here, I'd really appreciate your help.
Thank you so much for reading this far.
All the best to you all, Jane.

· Premium Member
11,829 Posts
Hi and welcome Jane

Sorry to hear your woes. We have at least one Yorkie on the forum so hopefully he'll be able to point you in the right direction.

· Premium Member
9,707 Posts
When it cuts out what exactly happens?
Does the dash still stay live but show as if you'd stalled it or is it dead. When it cuts out will it turn over and not start?
More detail is helpful.

· Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
13,311 Posts
Hi Jane, and welcome to the forum. I can understand your username after reading your post. I well remember about 35yrs ago talking to a car salesman with my husband who knew a lot less than me about cars (and would say so himself). The salesman directed all his conversation towards my husband, even when answering questions I had asked. He eventually turned to me n asked "And what colour would you like madam?" My husband laughed n walked away saying "Good luck boy, you're on your own!" It's depressing to hear that 35yrs haven't made much difference!
I need my camper so I can get out of the house without the worry of where the nearest loo is! I think I'll go crazy if I can't get out and see some of the world - even if it's only the local woods seen through the windscreen from the car park!
I can totally understand that. I hope you come back with a bit more information so that people can give you meaningful support.

· Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
44,241 Posts
I'm not much help with this, and my opinion of auto electricians isn't very high, There is a company in Keighley who have been going for many years so will have experience of LDVs which were not all that popular being a British Leyland product , the best man there is Terry, ignore the boss Richard as he is a pratt, David Peel auto electricians, I don't think they will come out to Leeds but if you have recovery they could take you there, or the sister company also has a breakdown arm so they could pick it up, Autotec same address.

· Registered
24 Posts
Hi, without a better description of the occurring fault it is difficult to guide you into the correct route of diagnoses as the electrical system can be suspected of faults, mechanical issues are quite often ignored more so with the introduction of OBD, on board diagnostics, and perhaps a miss understanding of the basic principle of the internal combustion engine, my advice would be to find a local workshop that is well established and has agricultural farm machinery knowledge, many of them have a better diagnostic understanding with electrical, mechanical and fueling issues long before OBD. good luck.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for all your replies. I've been a little indisposed for a few days and would have replied earlier if I could but decided to feel a bit sorry for myself instead!
All dash lights go off. Engine stops and stays stopped and there's no leccy to lights. A couple of times earlier in the year she did start after a few minutes but last time she went completely dodo and had to come home on the back of a wagon.
Hubby fitted an isolator key thingy on battery on recommendation of first bloke which is a pain in the neck when I have to lift the bonnet sometimes (i managed to suffer 2 frozen shoulders at same time a couple of years ago 'cause I don't do things by halves so I'm going to take myself off to the vets one of these days and have myself shot! ) Needless to say, the switch thingy didn't solve the problem.
More head scratching and hair pulling seem to be the order of the day.
Regards to all. Jane

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,248 Posts
Sounds like a bad earth connection on either the battery earth or the engine earth strap. I'd clean the battery connections thoroughly and fit an extra engine earth or two as a first step.

If that doesn't fix the problem does at least eliminate the first possibility.

Reactions: raynipper

· Premium Member
9,707 Posts
Any chance you remember if the internal cab light also died when the power cut off?
The cab light isn't switched by the ignition so if it too stopped working it proves it wasn't the ignition switch failing. And I'd agree either thecearthing strap from the battery to the chassis or the main power feed from the battery.
If the internal cab light still worked it could be the ignition switch failing.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cab light? Don't know about that one but I'll look.
Earth strap? Is that like a flat plaited metal ribbon? I'm sure there's something like that in amongst the gubbins. I'll be googling that next - after I've looked up why my stupid computer isn't loading windows. Then I'm guessing there'll be half a billion videos with American blokes droning on about how they'll show how to fix the problem in the 2 minutes at the end of their 20 minute video of them filming themselves telling the world that the fix is (actually a 30 second blurred shot) so easy that anyone watching will want to thank the youtuber and subscribe to his channel where he's posted another half a billion videos where there'll be the answers to life, the universe and everything!
And when I've done that, I'll go get the grandkid from school for a weekend visit (Oh joy!) and rewire and reaffix the storage heater so the kitchen's warm when the ageing parents show up for a month-long stay next week and I must remember to go buy extra coat hooks so they can hang up the half dozen coats they'll be lugging along with them (just had a thought - don't rewire the storage heater, that'll serve two purposes - keep the electric bill down and they'll keep their coats tidy by wearing them all constantly in an effort to stay warm!) And I must go shopping or they'll eat me out of house and home - the tea and biscuit bill is going to be enough to make me weep.
Gotta get the van fixed or I'll go nuts. I'm really looking forward to escaping the house and just watching the rain hammering down on the woods and I'll be wearing a couple of my coats too while doing so, I've just remembered I haven't been to swap the gas bottle to run the heater!
Flippin' 'eck! But thanks to all of you lovely people for taking the time to get back to me. Have fun, Jane :)

· Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,248 Posts
Yes often braided.

If there's one amongst the gubbins make sure there's another on the van secured tightly and cleanly for a good contact at both ends, that's between the engine and the chassis.

They can earth very badly though other contacts such as the speedo cable if not. Saw a melted speedo cable once because someone hadn't reconnected the earth strap.

I suggested and extra earth because I once had a vehicle with the earth running from the engine to the cab frame. The cab was on rubber mounts and the battery earth went to the chassis meaning that there was no good reliable earth between the battery and the engine. That was on a Ford Cargo lorry and is less likely to be seen on a van, but still an extra earth is all to the good. It was a known problem on that model of lorry and and caused a variety of interesting intermittent symptoms.

Reactions: Pudsey_Bear

· Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
44,241 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts