Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
44,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
25,559 Posts
We do watch bits but sadly it's become like a very long channel 5 advert.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
44,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suppose it's easy to forget those who are in need when you are okay, with everything the way it now more kids will be suffering.

I support it every year, most charities have shops you can donate in, I don't think CIN do.

·
Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,230 Posts
Don't assume that people who don't want to watch that don't give to charity Kev.

Reactions: GMJ and raynipper

·
Premium Member
44,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't Alan, I just put the thread up as a heads up and got zero response after 48 views, other chariites are in your face on TV etc all year CIN does it once, except on R2 of course on the lead up.

·
Premium Member
25,559 Posts
They did show some very deserving kids but I do get a little suspicious when very large sums of money are involved.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
44,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
100% goes to the charity Ray, BBC covers the admin.

Reactions: raynipper

·
Premium Member
11,786 Posts
One cant support every charity. We are selective in what we do but we do support young people with one of them..

·
Premium Member
44,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Adults are more able to look after themselves, Children cannot, many are abused and NIC can help.

What I find odd is that you rarely see any well off looking people in charity shops or dropping money in a tin outside the shops, poor people give to charities as they know it help someone worse off than themselves.

When we go out we go into almost every charity shop, we don't always spend, but we usually donate something.

Reactions: barryd

·
Premium Member
25,559 Posts
We always used to support the Dr. Bernado's homes as we had a large one in Kingston near us. Until they sold the large plot for expensive homes and we never did find out where that money went.
Then theres the 'church', some good and some bad. Seems there are hundreds if not thousands of charities and again some good and some bad.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
44,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree Roy, some siphon off way to much but it's like I said on another thread the other day you don't get good top people by paying crap wages but there ought to be a cap on what they get or maybe get paid by results.

This has been said/asked many time over the years too.

Why do we have a Royal society for animals but only a national society for children? even Mr Google has no answer for that one.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
I tend to give to dog charities now especially the one that's trying to stop the dog meat trade.

·
Premium Member
11,786 Posts
Adults are more able to look after themselves, Children cannot, many are abused and NIC can help.

What I find odd is that you rarely see any well off looking people in charity shops or dropping money in a tin outside the shops, poor people give to charities as they know it help someone worse off than themselves.

When we go out we go into almost every charity shop, we don't always spend, but we usually donate something.
There are many adults who cannot look after themselves too Kev so I think that is a bit simplistic.

Having done a bit of public collecting I also disagree that "well off looking people" (whatever that means) contribute less.

·
Premium Member
44,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are many adults who cannot look after themselves too Kev so I think that is a bit simplistic.

Having done a bit of public collecting I also disagree that "well off looking people" (whatever that means) contribute less.
You're entitiled to your opinion ;) ;)

·
Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,230 Posts
The well off are likely to be aware of how to organise their tax affairs and in particular to know that there are considerable benefits for the recipients if tax payers give through their bank accounts.

Many employers offer the chance to give regularly from salaries and contribute alongside their employee. Many people give regular monthly amounts to all kinds of charities, likely the better off can give more and some of them at least will feel it is only right that they should.

I'd dispute the suggestion that the well off aren't to be seen in charity shops. In my experience they often work in them as well as supporting them. But then again I don't accept that the well off in general can be identified by appearance. There is/was a trend for even the very well off to seek what they referred to as classic clothing. Having a scout round charity shops for items became a worthwhile pass time for many. And why not?

·
Premium Member
17,901 Posts
I have never seen a charity shop in this country, nobody has ever knocked on the door with a collection box and I’ve never seen a collection tin in a shop. Once a year they have a children in need kind of thing on TV that generates millions other than that you just give direct to the charity of your choice as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
I watched it and was humbled by the generosity of the public, £35 million+ in a matter of a few hours. The Children it supports NEED the help they get in order to maximise their chance, or even to survive. It could be argued that charities should not be needed, the State should be helping, but isn’t and hasn’t. The state relies upon charities to supply what it doesn’t.

Fortunately the public ALWAYS respond positively.

Bear in mind that at the same time as Children in Need raising more than £35 million, Kevin Singield has raised more than £1.6 million for MND research and delivery. The public has responded magnificently at a time when everyone is facing financial disaster due to the actions of an uncaring and incompetent Tory Party’s Government.

Yes, we support Pudsey and have for very many years, our special needs daughter was bought a computer (BBC B) when it was suggested she needed one and we could not have financed that with the extras it needed - she was bought it by Children in Need way back in 1989, so yes we do support the appeal every year.

Pudsey as an emblem is universally recognised and appreciated by children and adults alike - you only have to see the joy on the faces of the children to recognise that in many ways it is the British version of Mickey Mouse without the hype that MM has developed by the Walt Disney empire, thank heavens.

Our support for Pudsey will continue without any reservation, to as great an extent as we can - sorry, I had not seen this thread before today, otherwise I would have supported the thread much earlier.

·
Premium Member
17,901 Posts
So I have donated to children in my homeland so it said at the end, but doesn't it also support children in third countries?
Oh ye The citizens of the United Kingdom have the same status as third-country nationals

1 - 20 of 20 Posts