Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my first brand new motorhome, a Lunar Moonstar on fiat chassis, from a well known dealer in North Wales. On the 100 mile journey home I stopped for a break and the engine failed to restart.Rang the dealer who told me to call RAC. RAC got it going by disconnecting battery and resetting electrics (easier said than done!! ). Next day it wouldn't start, contacted dealer who told me to get it to Fiat dealer, its been there for a week now!!
I have written to the dealer demanding a refund, so far no reply!!

HELP any of you had similar problems?

Got van back yesterday. VCU changed... whatever that is? All seems OK now, but mileage is 900 so van is already second hand. House insurance will cover taking the dealer on who still hasn`t taken any interest

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
Yes ! Last August we spent a night in the car park of Waitrose Otley when our immobiliser immobilised us ( X250). The RAC and Fiat Camper Assist all had a go but we had to be carried off on a truck next day to Ripon where the Fiat professional garage got us mobile again in about 10 minutes flat. A very very good garage for motorhomes but a bit far for us to go on a regular basis.

I would not have thought yours would take so long. Ask them to check that none of the connections has come off inside the dashboard. That is what happened to ours.

G

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
space runner had a similar tale of woe in the New Forest I recall. Eventual outcome was a new ECU I think.

I guess you have already ried the 2nd key with the same results?

·
Premium Member
27,797 Posts
Is this called 'Technicalogical Progress'?

My first question when buying any vehicle with an alarm is how do you isolate the damn thing?

Ray.

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
raynipper said:
Is this called 'Technicalogical Progress'?

My first question when buying any vehicle with an alarm is how do you isolate the damn thing?

Ray.
The engine immobiliser is part of the base vehicle build and I think EU regulations determine that all new vehicles are fitted with one. There is no way for drivers to overide it when it is faulty - it is a garage job with plenty of scratching heads.

·
Registered
658 Posts
If it was easy to defeat it wouldn't be much of an immobiliser.

I think your dealer treated you shamefully.

Your contract under the sale of goods act was with him, not Fiat.
He should have been more supportive.

Let's have a name !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It certainly is a Fiat problem, the van is still with them. However, sale of goods act says that the dealer is responsible. I`m still waiting for them to contact me, they seem to think I will go away if they ignore me!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems and, unfortunately, what I have to say will not help you in your present predicament.

However, you might find this worthy of note. Do you know what a Battery master is? Basically it tops up the engine battery from the leisure battery under certain conditions - up to a maximum of 1.5A. Two weeks ago I had to have a new engine battery and warned the garage about the Fiat Immobiliser (I was standing by with my red key dreading the worst). Guess what? No problem at all as the Battery Master maintained the voltage across the terminals even when they were disconnected. Another good reason for buying one.

Ian

·
Registered
709 Posts
We have a bog-standard 2005 FIAT 2.8 JTD and I've taken the battery out to replace it, twice, and there's been no problem with immobilisers.

In fact, I now disconnect the battery for as much as 4 months between trips and the engine starts without a problem each time (without battery disconnection, the battery runs flat in 10 weeks.)

·
Registered
130 Posts
interesting,having a 584 the same as ianhibs and then reading normanb, i wonder if its the models that do not have the red key set up. my 584 had a duff battery, due to the fact i left it drained flat for a couple of months, when i changed the battery it did not occur to me it may then give me a problem with the imobiliser and it didn't. i assume because as mine is a later one, on a 53 plate without a red key, what year do u have ian
gary

·
Registered
878 Posts
mickydripping said:
I recently purchased my first brand new motorhome, a Lunar Moonstar on fiat chassis, from a well known dealer in North Wales. On the 100 mile journey home I stopped for a break and the engine failed to restart.Rang the dealer who told me to call RAC. RAC got it going by disconnecting battery and resetting electrics (easier said than done!! ). Next day it wouldn't start, contacted dealer who told me to get it to Fiat dealer, its been there for a week now!!
I have written to the dealer demanding a refund, so far no reply!!

HELP any of you had similar problems?
Hi mickeydripping.
Welcome to MHF :D
Sorry to welcome you when you have a problem :oops:
Regarding your (ECU?) problem :cry: When your 5 free posts run out you may wish to pay the £10 subscription which enables you to search (old threads) Very interesting reading 8O

I may be wrong :?: but I think it is not impossible that this could linked to the previous issue of water ingress on the X250's & believe the ECU was subject to a Fiat recall (& should have been done prior to your collection!).
Whatever you do with your dealer don't just drop your van off with them under the banner of "rejecting"
I wish you well & take all the advice you can get.
There are many members who wish they could "get their money back" but sadly it is very, very difficult to achieve.
Hope you keep us all posted
Regards Catherine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.