Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a newby I’m about to view a motorhome on Monday - private sale - but I need one days comprehensive insurance cover so I can take a test drive. Any suggestions as to which MH insurance companies might be helpful - or should I try and persuade my car insurer to help me out?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

ROB

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
insurance

Hi Rob

If you are covered fully comp on your car or if you can drive any other vehicle on your insurance then there's no problem, you're covered because the motorhome doesn't belong to you and is not on hire to you - as long as the other person has insured it you're OK.

Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions - especially the recommendation for dayinsure.com. I filled in the form and paid (£20 plus VAT etc) online, printed off the certificate, and was up and running.

NB The test drive went well, the MH was very tasty (inside and out) and I bought it yeterday!

ROB

·
Registered
457 Posts
A good result Rob. Enjoy your new motorhome.

For future reference please remember as mentioned above that 'driving other cars' benefit provides third party cover at most. The owners policy will not cover damage if driver is not on the policy. Not a good idea for a vehicle worth perhaps £40K +8O

Also it is often not appreciated that the tp cover may not apply to any other vehicle. Usually it applies to cars only

Take care :)

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Waggy said:
A good result Rob. Enjoy your new motorhome.

For future reference please remember as mentioned above that 'driving other cars' benefit provides third party cover at most. The owners policy will not cover damage if driver is not on the policy. Not a good idea for a vehicle worth perhaps £40K +8O

Also it is often not appreciated that the tp cover may not apply to any other vehicle. Usually it applies to cars only

Take care :)
Also note that 'driving other cars' is not only a common feature of a comprehensive policy, you may get this extension on tpf&t and tpo also. Check your certificate of insurance.

My firm can also provide comprehensive DOC.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
rft said:
Also note that 'driving other cars' is not only a common feature of a comprehensive policy, you may get this extension on tpf&t and tpo also. Check your certificate of insurance.

My firm can also provide comprehensive DOC.
Yes you need to check your policy as an increasing number of policies no longer offer this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.