Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Timberland Freedom
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We used Irish ferries our last trip to France, this was our second trip this summer and as we had used up the Tesco club card points for Le Shuttle, so we went by ferry which was a bit cheaper.

On the return leg, we checked in a full two hours before our sailing time, but due to long delays, mostly at the UK Border control, there was only one booth open out of fourteen, with two customs officers checking every car, van and camper inside and out.. so we missed our boat and had to wait another 1-1/2 hours for the next one.

The ferry out wasn't too bad, but the lounge seating was very badly stained and looked tired and dirty, so we didn't use it, we sat in the cafe which had PVC covered bar stools

Full Irish Breakfast was £15 .... we had two white coffees, at £3.50 each.

Return trip was on a much older and smaller ferry with open car deck, it was also quite dirty and looked like it was ready for the scrap yard.. it vibrated a lot when leaving port, probably the bow thrusters. Once at sea It rolled quite badly making me feel sick, something that I rarely experience.

We bought the obligatory Toblerones in the duty free, three of at £4 each... In Tesco's yesterday they are on offer at £3 ..so not a big saving .. lol

Would we use them again, yes probably, but prefer Le Shuttle .. it's quicker and easier ..

As for P&O, due to the disgraceful treatment of staff, will never use them again..

·
Premium Member
28,553 Posts
Yes the so called 'Duty-Free' has been a joke for many years now. I never buy on board apart from something to sustain 'life' on the boring crossings.

Ray.

Reactions: Scotjimland

·
Registered
2003 Timberland Freedom
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the so called 'Duty-Free' has been a joke for many years now. I never buy on board apart from something to sustain 'life' on the boring crossings.

Ray.
yes, very true..
Only reason I was buying was to use up some left over Euros. but when presented, was told they could only accept GBP ..or card.. now that is odd for an EU Ferry company ..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts