Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just been looking around for a replacement motorhome, as getting older my better half says we need some more room, so started looking for another van. A lot of vans in the three year old band do not seem to be wearing very well, ie catches broke, trim missing dirty uphosterly, one or two had signs of damp, due to illfitted awnings etc. either it is the owners or poorly made in the first place, some of these motorhomes are the same price of a rolls royce or a small house, why can't the owners be bothered to keep them clean, why have all the awnings top boxes cd players etc, fitted if they dont intend to keep them. whats your comments,

·
Registered
73 Posts
Second home

Interesting observations, we bought a Compass Calypso 9 months ago with only 4,000 miles on the clock and one owner, that also cost us a small fortune. Did you look at dealers stock or private sales? When we were looking around there was just nothing in the market of any good so it was very much a sellers market. It took us a month in weekends cleaning the whole thing out; correcting all those silly things before we felt it was our own second home. We bought ours through a local dealer who attended to our first fault list. There were no problems there. Having said that, when one buys a house one experiences the same problems even with new homes. I suspect if you looked at new motorhome you will be quite amazed at the number of minor defects. Unfortunately for the used buyer market conditions have changed. Last year was a record year for both new and used sales. There are more people like us that can see the benefits of this most enjoyable pastime with the result in the second hand market sellers are not too fussy what state they leave their previous motorhome. I am told there is an acute shortage of top quality motor homes.The rubbish tends to hang around with not much difference in price unless the sellar has cash flow problems. Your best bet is try and buy one from someone you know personally that has looked after theirs that either wants to trade up or down. Have it tested first. You will also end up saving thousands compared with the list price. A saving like that is worth the agro.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Our first van was a Calypso and when we sold it with 38k on the clock it was for a bigger van.

We had been tuggers for years and wanted to keep the same layout as the caravans and thought we would be stuck for space, hence the Calypso.

We wanted something with more storage, same layout and after about 9 to 12 months looking ended up with the (4 berth) A-S Executive.

The Luton over the cab can be lifted if you dont want it there or left down as we do and keep chairs, sleeping bags, solar panel, silver screen and any other stuff up there. In reality this van is not much longer than the Calypso at 18.9 as against from memory 17ft ? but there is masses of extra space. O and bye the way the Exec bathroom sink empties in half the time of the Calypsos'

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is it me

Hi dodger i already own a calypso, i have been looking to replace it with a A/S legend but have been looking at all the other types i have found a A/S amersthys like legend but with forward lounge. ford 2.5 td engine in very good cond no marks on body and excellent inside, are these vans warm in winter and what is the mpg. does any body know, the price isright for me,

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
No problems with temperature in the winter with them.

The Legend was my favourite layout but they are too long for home. The Amethyst and as you mention price I will assume you mean the old model is just a variation on a theme.

The Exec & Talisman (same bodyshell - different layout) are shorter but not too small and being on a boxer have the dash mounted gear lever so you can walk tho without getting tangled in handbrakes and gearlevers etc.

If the price and the vehicles are right for you the Legend is a good van with plenty of "entertainment" space and the kitchen is separate from the living area which I think makes the van look bigger

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is it me

thanks for answer dodger, i have decided to carry on looking for a legend and leave theamersyth as i would prefer a rear lounge, lenght is no problem as i have room to park it. :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.