Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the ferry is booked, travel insurance sorted, passports all checked and we are off to France for the first time, but is it possible to just wander around France stopping at sites/Aires as you find them? I'm after a holiday with no pre-planned structure, I do 'structure all day at work.

So, we just want to head in a direction and stop when we want, where we want? Can we get that much freedom?

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Certainly possible. Just don't leave it too late to arrive at the aires as the popular ones can fill up. Aim to arrive no later than mid afternoon and you should be OK.
Also consider the camping municipals. Not much more expensive than an aire and usually have space apart from August.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are going in June armed with France Passion, Aires book, Camping Cheque book and ASCI book so we should have some choice!

I was just hoping to travel, stop for a brew mid afternoon, glance through the books and find a nearby site. Just taking it easy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gaspode said:
So is there any other way to do it? 8O
Well that's my point, I don't want to do it any other way.

Of course if we find a good place to stop we'll camp for a few days, have a look around, relax and then move on. Isn't that why we have campervans or MHs we carry our shells?

·
Registered
753 Posts
That is the best way to do it! Just follow your nose as my grandfather used to say!

(It is he i blame for my camping - he was an avid caravanner from his mid twenties until he was 86! Went every month, always slept outside under the awning!)

We had the most amazing time when we did europe a few years ago, people are so nice generally - have a bash at speaking the languages, even if you are terrible and have to revert to english as even the most grumpy person becomes very helpful and friendly for your efforts!

Have a great time, go and create yourself an adventure!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I came across an amazing list of POI's compiled by "archie" camp sites, aires for all of europe..

can't remember where I found it.. try googling "archie poi" or something similar.

the filename, which you may be able to google was "archies_europe_f.zip"

that's only the file for France in numerous formats.

chris

·
Registered
989 Posts
Go for it!

We hardly ever use campsites and if one aire is full, there is usually another, less popular one not too far away. We have come across some real finds in out of the way places and had them to ourselves. It depends what you like - we like "ordinary" places that have their own kind of charm, and the locals are pleased when you use their aire and buy bread from their bakery etc. Not following a plan means you can go where the mood takes you - without getting lost!

Have fun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.