Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
One see`s quite a few M/H on the road now were inot May, but I just wondered how many of you use your motorhomes daily, ie: for dodging about, shopping, going to the bank and such.
We have a Swift Suntor 600S nearly 21 foot in length, which we use as our sole means of transport, we have`nt experienced too much difficulty with local parking as such, but do try our best to be considerate, as 21foot is longer than family car, and anyway I dont want the cost of two road taxes, insurance, and maintenance costs, am I tight or what 8)
We live in a usual area, part industrial, housing estates, but near to the Shropshire border, and on our estate alone there are 5 M/H which are used daily by there owners.

Not being nosy, just curious :D

Mike

·
Registered
12,963 Posts
No, we have a car as well. Maybe because we are relatively new to MHing but we still find that a trip out requires more route planning and some idea of where we are going to park. I don't think I could cope with just going off to do the shopping and having to worry that I would not get a parking space or would have to reverse out of a tight space or into one.

G

·
Registered
393 Posts
all three of our m/h have been "only vehicles" - all fairly small. We find that to be practical we prefer either a van conversion with a sliding door or a rear door for ease of getting shopping etc (lengths of timber, flat pack furniture :lol: ) in and out. None of the car parks in our town have barriers so parking is not problem - though having said that we generally walk or cycle to town and only use the van for the supermarket shop or big things, so it just wouldn't be worth having two vehicles l- plus we have to park it on the road outside our house and there's only room for one!
-H

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
:D Hi Mike

We are new to motorhoming and still both work, so have a car each and two motorbikes which have got to be sold. Our M/H is 27 ft so is to large to use daily, but will be our only transport when we take up fulltiming.

steve & ann ---teensvan.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Other vehicle

Got rid of my car when we bought the motorhome. Bought a little Honda Innova moped 125cc for running around on. Love the thing. Does about 120mpg.

For shopping we use my wifes little Vauxhall.

Ian

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hi

we are the same as teensvan, we are still in the throws of to many interests and pleasures

1 Motorhome
2 Cars
1 sportscar
1Motorbike
2 mountain bikes

nedd to streamline ourselves real soon

Paul

·
Registered
259 Posts
Unfortunately not in this household.

We currently have
Simon's works van, Campervan, my Fiat Uno.

We are awaiting arrival of

My Dad's Ford Fiesta which he has given to us just needs collecting from Northumberland.

We would actually like

A Classic Car Minor, A35, Austin 1300 or so to live in garage but we have a friends Dormobile roof for his Landrover so that will have to wait.
Its only been in there 6 months.

·
Registered
259 Posts
We have two cars as well as the M/H - I have small oldish Honda as I work, and Bob has retired but still has his car. We only use the M/H for hols, week-ends and days out with bikes on back - great not having to find a public bog!
Vita

·
Registered
181 Posts
hi mike we get our new Nuevo es in 14 DAYS and we part chopped our caravan and picasso as part exchange for it so yes we will use it as an everyday vehicle, however as we live in Birmingham most of our shopping and local trips will be by bus (free bus passes) so crazy not to use them. our big shop is usually on sunday and our local shop is asda so good parking and 17ft 10 inches is ok for us.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Why do the insurance companies insure the person instead of the car.................my bum only sits on one seat at a time

i thought i heard they did this in france ....not sure

or is it to simple

Paul

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi everyone, me again, thanks for the replies to my question, yep we had a Picasso before we went and bought our M/H, which was by the way a mobility vehicle, so not really our own, Wife is disabled :( but not a problem with that, she just loves the M/H and really talked me into it, we had her for 14 months now and love and enjoy the freedom it gives us.
Dont really find much of a problem with main shopping as Tesco``s have no height barriers, and have seen several M/H on there car park, do have to be careful on council owned car parks, most have height barriers, and do find that most town centres are not M/H friendly, even got told on one occasion by an irate lady that those sort of things should not be allowed on public car parks, ahh well, takes all sorts :p .

Mike

·
Registered
980 Posts
We have an N reg BMW (not much difference in length between that and our Hymer but at least I'll drive the car!! (Will NOT drive the motohome!). We also own an Iveco van as Paul does house removals! He always had motorbikes in the past but not for several years now (know he'd like one though!). Think we pay enough in road tax etc as it is LOL! Ana xx

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi All

We have a ford mondeo as well has the MH . Unfortunately we both still have to work full time. Not to bad though hubby gets a regular lift 12 miles in one direction and I drive 16 in the other we both constantly dream of full timing I wish we were as brave as some of you good people/align :?

Rolley

FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi all
kay has a company car and I have the motorhome I do the shopping,take the kids to school [on rainy days only] and go to collage in it so yes its my only mode of transort, being a mechanic I think its better to use a van rather than let it sit around and everything sieze up. :D :D :D

chris

·
Registered
28 Posts
Heres our list......

Autotrail Cheyenne

Peugeot 306 diesel

Piaggio X9 scooter

Mitsubishi GTO twin turbo for fun/shows at the weekend (when not out in the motorhome) :D

I agree with Paul (RedOne) that it should be the "person" and not the vehicle thats insured, obviously this would be based on the highest insurance group vehicle they own :wink: and as Paul says you can only drive one at any time!!

Martyn

·
Registered
6 Posts
:wink: We own a car and Van conversion motorhome, the car is used by my husband for work days and any other trip like going to the shops or parents house etc... we do in the motorhome.

My father-in-law also owns a van conversion by the same company with is his only means of transport, as they go under the height barriers they don't have a problem using it every day!

·
Premium Member
6,271 Posts
Ok it is obvious I have two vehicles, the motorhome and the tow car, both mine. The tow car is also my run about. The other half has a large automatic estate equipped with hand controls which we could not manage without. Takes the wheelchair all the shopping and the old folks.

peedee

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.