13,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The site has woken up!
It must be the New Year spirit.

Keep those posts coming folks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You are right. It has got a little spurt on. What I would like is some tips for our 1st ever trip down France this year, never driven on the wrong side before. Best month to go, best area and sites for newbies etc.

Ken

·
Vendor
18,541 Posts
I went to France a couple of months ago (Albeit in a VW Beetle not a MH), now my bug is LHD so that made life easier, but you really don't seem to find it hard to drive, I found it perfect (In Normandy) so much so that i did far much more driving from place to place than i anticipated.

Some people have said that sticking something on the windscreen (small in size and not too obtrusive to vision) that indicates drive on right i.e. an arrow or something helps to jog them along.

I also couldn't recommend enough a Satellite GPS Navigation system of some kind or other. I use a Ipaq 5550, wireless Bluetooth Socket GPS Receiver and TomTom Navigator, all worked seamlessly for me and ensured no dodgy sharp turns into back streets etc.

And yes it is nice to see the forum actually getting used in anger :)
Keep em coming

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Driving in France is no problem as unless you have a LHD vehicle you as the driver will be sitting next to the kerb. If you are positioned ok for the kerb the traffic coming towards you will have plenty of room.

Caz is correct when he says beware first thing in a morning but I find that only applies if I'm coming out from the campsite onto an empty road. Similarly if you've been for fuel and pull off the forecourt into an empty road. If there is traffic on the road you are ok. But yes keep your concentration and don't give yourself overlong journeys without rest stops.

Best time to go? To a large extent this depends on family circumstances but May/June is a good time to go. Campsites have plenty of room so you don't need to book and Camping Cheques is a good way finding excellent sites across the whole of France at a reduced price.
Be flexible.
We go for a month 3 times a year and have no fixed ideas about where we are going. Most of France is very motorhome friendly, if you don't want a campsite there are plenty of places to dump grey and black water and to fill up with clean.

Best area to go?
France is a large Country and there are big differences between the various regions. The differences are in terrain, in food, in wine, in history, in wildlife, in climate, in...........I can go on for ages. We have been going to France since 1978 and never tire of it. The one thing you must give yourself is time. Treat the whole of your time in France as part of the journey of discovery.

You've got me going again! Roll on March and our first trip this year. :) :)

Keep asking the questions. There are plenty of folk about with answers.

Gillian

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
There are quite a few newish motorhomers on here who may not be as well versed on foreign travel as others. There are those
like Autostratus who are a mind of information on routes and sites being well seasoned on Europe in particular(hope I dont embarass you Gill) and I am sure would gladly pass on that nformation if it will help and give you some confidence

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Embarrassed, me, no.

I work on a 'do as you would be done by' basis.
If I need information, and that's been frequently, I will always ask and if others ask for information I will always give if I've got some.

How on earth do you think I got mine in the first place :) .

Gillian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.