Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 251 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First things first she is alive and Ive just got off the phone to her. I got a Whatsapp message and email just now so ill just copy and paste it.

"Oh what a catastrophe, filed the gas yesterday had a job releasing the nozzle gas shot out and caught fire, I am in hospital in Offenbach near Frankfurt Main I have burnt right hand and arm and a cut on my head with 6 stitches. The police are trying to find out what happened, the Paint of the van is scorched, but I think it’s still drivable, but no idea if anything needs replacing or if it’s just superficial.
They tell me I will be in hospital for at least 10 days. Tomorrow they will cover the burnt skin with an artificial skin made from fish so I hope I won’t start to grow scales.
I’m not in much pain only about 2 on a scale of 10. I’m sharing a room with Birgit a 61 year old who’s been here for 7 weeks she somehow managed to drop a boiling pot of noodle over herself and has a lot more injuries than me. She speaks very good English as do most of the staff.
Don’t panic chaps, I’ll soon be back on the road again.

Have a nice relaxing holiday.
L Jan X"

It sounds like she was struggling to release the LPG pump and it somehow spurted LPG everywhere and literally blew up. She is however in great spirits and in a room with another lady she has of course made good friends with. She was staying with Jurgen and Heike her good friends and had gone out to do some shopping. Motely was back at the house with Jurgen and Heike and is fine. She was airlifted to hospital in a helicopter.

She is in great spirits. I think she is just overjoyed she wasnt blown to kingdom come. Made of strong stuff our Milly.

Will let you know if there is any further news. I am away myself now right now so may be offline for a bit.

·
Premium Member
27,833 Posts
OMG what a terrible thing to happen especially when away from home. Our thoughts and best wishes are with you Jan. Hope you 'mend' double quick.

Hurggsssss Ray.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
First things first she is alive and Ive just got off the phone to her. I got a Whatsapp message and email just now so ill just copy and paste it.

"Oh what a catastrophe, filed the gas yesterday had a job releasing the nozzle gas shot out and caught fire, I am in hospital in Offenbach near Frankfurt Main I have burnt right hand and arm and a cut on my head with 6 stitches. The police are trying to find out what happened, the Paint of the van is scorched, but I think it’s still drivable, but no idea if anything needs replacing or if it’s just superficial.
They tell me I will be in hospital for at least 10 days. Tomorrow they will cover the burnt skin with an artificial skin made from fish so I hope I won’t start to grow scales.
I’m not in much pain only about 2 on a scale of 10. I’m sharing a room with Birgit a 61 year old who’s been here for 7 weeks she somehow managed to drop a boiling pot of noodle over herself and has a lot more injuries than me. She speaks very good English as do most of the staff.

L Jan X"

It sounds like she was struggling to release the LPG pump and it somehow spurted LPG everywhere and literally blew up. She is however in great spirits and in a room with another lady she has of course made good friends with. She was staying with Jurgen and Heike her good friends and had gone out to do some shopping. Motely was back at the house with Jurgen and Heike and is fine. She was airlifted to hospital in a helicopter.

She is in great spirits. I think she is just overjoyed she wasnt blown to kingdom come. Made of strong stuff our Milly.

Will let you know if there is any further news. I am away myself now right now so may be offline for a bit.

Oh Barry, that is awful.Unbelievable my friend and I hope your wife is soon recovered and back with you. All the best.

·
Premium Member
31,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to be clear it's Jan in Germany that has had the accident not me or Michelle. I will pass on your best wishes but knowing Jan she won't be offline for long.

I think she's having the skin op tomorrow. Her good friends Jürgen and Heike are only an hour away so I'm sure they will support her. She's far from down and out though and I think she's planning to continue the trip if possible. Van looks pretty bad though but she has no idea what damage if any is on the inside. Don't know who took the photo. I suspect there will be a proper inquest.

·
Premium Member
22,851 Posts

L Jan X"

Crikey, that has to be a potential nightmare for all of us - the MH shows the extent of the damage, please, please please wish her the best from all of us.

Dave and Lesley

·
Premium Member
13,300 Posts
Jan

If you are reading this, great sympathies from Basia and I.

I hope the burns are only first degree, as the pain level of 2 in 10 might indicate, which will make recovery easier.

Goodness knows what the ignition source was, but that is for later consideration. Your health and recovery are the prime concern.

I am glad that Jurgen and Heike are not far away to support you, and can take care of Motley.

Send me your Mobile number on PM and we can call you.

Rest well if you can.

Best Wishes

Geoff and Basia

·
Premium Member
31,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jan

If you are reading this, great sympathies from Basia and I.

I hope the burns are only first degree, as the pain level of 2 in 10 might indicate, which will make recovery easier.

Goodness knows what the ignition source was, but that is for later consideration. Your health and recovery are the prime concern.

I am glad that Jurgen and Heike are not far away to support you, and can take care of Motley.

Send me your Mobile number on PM and we can call you.

Rest well if you can.

Best Wishes

Geoff and Basia
I've emailed you jans number Geoff. I suspect she won't be able to type easily so she might be glad for a call

·
Premium Member
16,392 Posts
Don’t panic chaps and chapesses, there’s a lot to be thankful for, Motley was not in the van I had left him with Heike & Jürgen and although he has been crying for me he will soon get used to me not being there. They love him and he them.
I hope the reason for the gas escaping after the pump had stopped will be found.
I have a lovely room mate, Birgit is 61 and her injuries are a lot worse than mine, she managed to tip a big pot of boiling spaghetti over herself and she doesn’t know how.
Birgit speaks pretty good English so we swap languages all through the day.
My right hand and arm are burnt, but not too terrible, it’s the bit under my thumb and the inside of my arm so once healed I won’t see much of the scare and others will only see it when I wave so I’ll wave with my left arm.
As I am in West Germany all the doctors speak English and most of the nurses as well and I think they are all enjoying practicing there English with me, I’ve already taught them a few funny English sayings 😁.
So my friend you know I’m a tough of bird, I’ve been singed, but not roasted.
Either today or tomorrow they will put me to sleep to clean everything up, like removing dead skin and depending how deep the burn is they may put an artificial skin on made from shark protein so I’ll either be a bit snappier or as Barry says I might swim better.

·
Premium Member
9,771 Posts
Best of luck Jan. I hope you recover soon.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Jan , so sorry to hear of your accident, pleased to hear you are in good spirits and sounds as though you'll have no lasting problems from it.
Was the fridge running on gas at the time?
Get well soon
John.

·
Premium Member
16,392 Posts
Jan , so sorry to hear of your accident, pleased to hear you are in good spirits and sounds as though you'll have no lasting problems from it.
Was the fridge running on gas at the time?
Get well soon
John.
Unfortunately John yes, I had intended turning it off and emptying it on Monday and didn’t , Normally I make sure all appliances are turned off before I fill with gas, this time I forgot ☹, in too much of a hurry to get back to Motley.

·
Premium Member
11,262 Posts
Jeez Jan, just spotted this thread this morning… what a shock for you, I hope you make a full recovery soon.

I always knew you were a hot chick, but that was really just too extreme for us all here. 🔥❤

Terry

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
That’s terrible thing to happen, hope you get better soon.
So the bottle wasn’t turned off before filling, I wonder if that had a bearing on the problem because I think bottle should be shut before filling.

·
Premium Member
16,392 Posts
So the bottle wasn’t turned off before filling, I wonder if that had a bearing on the problem because I think bottle should be filling.
The gas didn’t come from the bottle it was from the pump. I imagine the valve shut when the bottle was full or the bottle would have probably exploded. We don’t know what the cause was yet so no good surmising.

·
Premium Member
31,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So the bottle wasn’t turned off before filling, I wonder if that had a bearing on the problem because I think bottle should be shut before filling.
If its Gaslow, the Gaslow fitter who fitted mine said there was no need to turn it off when filling. Regardless there is no way a pump should do that as once you take your hand of the big button to pump the gas it should shut off. Sounds like this one did not but its all speculation. I suspect there will be a full investigation. The main thing of course is Jan is not in several pieces and lives to motorhome another day and is taking it on the chin! Bravo!!! What an amazing girl she is!

·
Premium Member
16,392 Posts
The physio has just been, he brought me this little contraption yesterday, I have to breath in on the tube and lift the 3 balls to the top, this apparently is to help prevent pneumonia. I also have to move my arm and hand about to stretch the skin and keep the blood flowing into the skin.
I am waiting to be picked up by one of my young men and taken to theatre for the op which takes abou 30 mins the aneathetist says.

Product Azure Hood Gas Auto part

·
Premium Member
22,851 Posts
Keep up the blowing, the trumpet is next in the physio armoury…..

We hope the procedure goes well, no fishy tails please…. MrsW worked in a burns unit in Bristol so she knows EXACTLY what you are going through - I showed her the picture of the balls and she said what they were for immediately- so it is obviously well known !

best wishes,

Dave and Lesley

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
What a terrible painful shock Jan. It sounds as if you are in the best place for the best treatment and I wish you the very best for a speedy recovery.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
OMG Jan! How awful! So glad that you are in good hands and that Motley wasn't with you. Hope you are soon up and about.

On the speculation about the gas filler - Chris tells me that some European gas pumps stay on without you holding the button in. They turn off automatically when the tank is full.

1 - 20 of 251 Posts