Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking 2 weeks out in July with the aim of trying parts of the UK we've not been before - so:

Using mainly CL or CS type sites.
Anyone got any favourite places to visit in the North East Area, or even Wales as a contrast?

Having already had a few weeks away in NZ earlier this year, we are looking for nice weather to spend some relaxing time, in parts we've not really been to before.

All will be a bit last minute, as we will be checking the weather forecast and just 'wing it' 8) .
If however the good old British Summer lives up to scratch, we'll just head south & warmer climes in central France ( for a change :) ).

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
I love the area around Dolgellau, at the foot of Cader Idris, and the Cregennan Lakes which overlook the Barmouth Estuary. I think there's a camping and caravanning site at Garthyfog Farm.

Barmouth is a low key, "kiss me quick", old fashioned seaside town and over the estuary is Fairbourne, with a long stretch of sandy beach, but it's up on the hills where the real beauty of the area lies.

Lesley

Attachments

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
**** said:
All will be a bit last minute, as we will be checking the weather forecast and just 'wing it' 8) .
I can't help thinking that your plans to "wing it" might be affected by whether you intend to take the first or last 2 weeks of July - ie whether the schools are out or in. Given that camping equipment is supposed to be flying off the shelves this year it seems to me that sites might be very busy and simply popping in and finding space might be less easy.

I hope I'm wrong as we plan to do much the same later on in the summer. I'm in 2 minds about booking - something we've never done before- but we have plans for places to visit and things to see and don't want to find ourselves hiding in laybys.

G

·
Premium Member
27,797 Posts
Hello ****,
As you appear to be based in Eastbourne, I think I would head for Brighton, Southampton or Poole and get ready to hop a ferry to France.

At least if the weather isn't much better the laid back French cafe life is much nicer.

Ray.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hello ****,
I am with raynipper on this one. I will be going to France and I will mainly use aires, saving a fortune on camp fees.
I just hope the exchange rate with the Euro continues to improve. :roll:

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Holiday

:D The Gower - if you are staying in UK - every time!! The CC&C sometimes has a holiday site at Banks Farm during the holidays - fantastic views and the beauty is you don't have to book.

We would, personally, rather cross over the water and use the Aires and enjoy the French welcome.

Sundial

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
orian said:
Hello ****,
I am with raynipper on this one. I will be going to France and I will mainly use aires, saving a fortune on camp fees.
I just hope the exchange rate with the Euro continues to improve. :roll:
Having just come back from France and Italy ( last week) we spent quite a bit on aires and sostas - some places charge up to 18 euros per night and we translated that as £18 ! We were in France last October as well and can't believe how expensive things have become. It also rained heavily lots of the time - even into the south of Italy, and we had the heating on more often than not. The aire at Lucca cost us the equivalent of £ 18 . Last October it was the equivalent of £9.

Still my top favourite but very comparable on prices to UK now.

G

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys for your feedback so far.

We do Europe quite a bit already and use Aires or Stelplatz whenever possible.
Being close to Newhaven (15mins) and also Cheriton (90mins) it's easy to get the right crossing time ( cheap ) :lol:

We are looking at the first 2 weeks in July to avoid the school holidays.
Thought that if the weather looks good here, it would be nice to see a bit more of the parts that we don't normally get to. Also, it may be a bit cheaper if the Euro is so strong 8O

More thoughts & suggestions are very welcome :)

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
The north east coast of England is wonderful. Big, empty beaches, small villages, market towns, castles, islands and so on. Even further down towns like Newcastle and Gateshead repay a visit. We were totally impressed by the "new-look" Gateshead with the Baltic centre, the Sage and the swing bridge. You can park the van at the MetroCentre shopping complex and take the frequent bus from there.

Nicest thing of all is the people who are warm, chatty and friendly.

Well worth a couple of weeks pottering along and some good club sites and CS/CLs.

Can't rely on the weather however and it can be cold and windy on the coast even in July.

G

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.