Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a disaster with a broken glass and an instant coffee jar emptying itself in one of our cupboards I am looking for ideas how to keep everything in place when on the move.

The main problem is things like jars, bottles etc that must stay upright. If the cupboard is jam-packed full then they will obviously wedge in place but sometimes its necessary to drive around when the cupboards are not full.

We have a variety of plastic containers which hold things horizontal but I have yet to find a solution for holding things vertical. I have considered round tool clips but think the best solution would be some sort of narrow slots into which items could be placed.

Another related problem is how to stop things falling off the open shelves in our Symbol. I have looked at elasticated cargo netting and wonder if anyone has used this.

Ideas gratefully received

Peter

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
peej said:
After a disaster with a broken glass and an instant coffee jar emptying itself in one of our cupboards I am looking for ideas how to keep everything in place when on the move.

The main problem is things like jars, bottles etc that must stay upright. If the cupboard is jam-packed full then they will obviously wedge in place but sometimes its necessary to drive around when the cupboards are not full.

We have a variety of plastic containers which hold things horizontal but I have yet to find a solution for holding things vertical. I have considered round tool clips but think the best solution would be some sort of narrow slots into which items could be placed.

Another related problem is how to stop things falling off the open shelves in our Symbol. I have looked at elasticated cargo netting and wonder if anyone has used this.

Ideas gratefully received

Peter
Cak tanks do some bars that restrain bottles glasses and pots

Trev.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

But those bars just stop things falling out. We have cupboard doors that do that. Its the way things fal over and slide around inside that I want to control

Peter

·
Registered
93 Posts
We use bubble wrap from old packaging. This stops things rattling around and falling over and it's cheap!
When not needed it can be stuffed into any space in lockers and cupboards.
Sandy

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
We stand things in sandwich boxes obviously no lids. Plates have that anti-slip/rattle stuff from Wilkinsons and that's about it we get stuck with pop bottles though as only one fits in the fridge door so we have one of those bottle carriers which holds 6 and put bubble wrap round wine bottles if they are a bit slim.

It's taken us 3 months to get all the stuff back into this new van from old van - think we are just about there.

Greenie

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Things in place

Hi

Three methods all of which are in play in my van

1) Rubber matting from Poundland

2) Cardboard wineboxes - the free ones from supermarkets - cut them down to size a bit and place rubber matting underneath the box and also inside it.

3) Strong pieces of elastic, screwed to the inside of cupboards. You can push jars etc behind the elastic.

I have carried glasses, bottles, coggee jars etc and never had a break.

Russell

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Hi Peter

I've moved you to Chit Chat - more replies with any luck! :D

Funnily enough, Mrs Zeb has just been on at me to sort out exactly the same problem. We've tried most of the ideas suggested so far, and a few more besides - and none has turned out to be completely satisfactory.

So . . . . I shall be down in the workshop tomorrow making something similar to Russell's cut down wine boxes, but in thin ply and designed to fit exactly into the space Mrs Zeb wants it/them.

I can't think of a better solution, but if anybody has one it will save me (and Peej :D ) a chore.

Dave

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
No worries Pete.

Mr Sod is sure to dictate that they would not fit our lockers! :roll:

I've got some of the elastic string I presume they use, so I can make one/some to fit exactly.

Thanks for the (inadvertent) tip. :D

Dave

·
Registered
870 Posts
We empty our coffee, sugar and dry items to pastic food containers which have a nice wide base to prevent tipping.

Also we obtained some small high sided plastic boxes ( approximately 8ins x 4 ins x 4 ins deep ) in which to stand marmalade,vinegar, sauce , oil etc. We fit these in so they fit snugly, never had any problems with spillage or broken items.

Bottles and and wine glasses are stored in supermarket wine carriers, the glasses wrapped in kitchen paper.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So . . . . I shall be down in the workshop tomorrow making something similar to Russell's cut down wine boxes, but in thin ply and designed to fit exactly into the space Mrs Zeb wants it/them.
I have just made a box out of ply designed to fit and when I finished it I looked at it and thought "that looks familiar" and realised that it was exactly the same size as a size B52 part bin.

Jane said she preferred the plastic part bins as they are washable so does anyone want a lovingly crafted wooden box? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Here is a picture of the boxes in the van

Peter

·
Premium Member
9,469 Posts
Use your towels and tea clothes. Just push them into the cupboards and fill any large gaps. Helps to stop rattles too.

·
Registered
394 Posts
It's such a good question Peter, one I wanted to ask because as a potential full timer I will be on the move daily so I'm keeping a keen eye on this thread!

At the moment my only thought would be to keep heavy items in lower storage and lighter items, clothing, bedding etc. higher up even if it means putting my underwear where my Cornflakes should be kept! :oops:

Here's another thought.... friction versus no friction. Something will slide and move about if it has no or little friction. A tin of beans is relatively heavy and will slide on even a course wooden shelf when a vehicle brakes. If all shelves were rubber based or even covered in a very thin (1mm?) foam base then this would stop things from moving with exception to the most violent of vehicle manouvres. At least I think this would work. Not sure if I'd want either though and will continue to scratch my noggin.

Shane.....

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Use your towels and tea clothes. Just push them into the cupboards and fill any large gaps. Helps to stop rattles too.
Yes I realise that is the obvious answer when loaded up on a "proper" trip but that isn't when the problem ocurred. As my M/H is a panel van conversion I use it from time to time when pretty much empty of towels etc. However there are always crockey & essential non-perishables on board and it's when the van was empty that the problem occurred.

Incidentally, my wife Jane came up with a fantastic idea to stop the oven shelves rattling. We were a bit worried about stuffing the oven full of towels in case we forgot they were there when lighting the oven.

So she got some of that oven-proof lining that is made of heat resistant rubbery material. Keeping up the aim of everything having to have at least 2 functions in the MH , the lining now stops the shelves rattling as well as keeping the oven clean.

Peter

·
Registered
13,478 Posts
Simplelife said:
It's such a good question Peter, one I wanted to ask because as a potential full timer I will be on the move daily so I'm keeping a keen eye on this thread!

At the moment my only thought would be to keep heavy items in lower storage and lighter items, clothing, bedding etc. higher up even if it means putting my underwear where my Cornflakes should be kept! :oops:

Here's another thought.... friction versus no friction. Something will slide and move about if it has no or little friction. A tin of beans is relatively heavy and will slide on even a course wooden shelf when a vehicle brakes. If all shelves were rubber based or even covered in a very thin (1mm?) foam base then this would stop things from moving with exception to the most violent of vehicle manouvres. At least I think this would work. Not sure if I'd want either though and will continue to scratch my noggin.

Shane.....
Hi Shane I just use wallpaper to line all my cupboards and drawers with.
This seems to stop things sliding around.
But yes roundabouts are the worse so I just stuff my tea towels around when the cupboards are emptying

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having been 'tuggers' (I Hate that description) for many years, and now moved on to motorhome, I can honestly say that this has never been a problem.

We have always made best use of small plastic boxes/baskets to put things in, particularly in overhead lockers, As long as you make sure that things are 'wedged' (and its usually possible just by being clever with what you put where), there has never been any problem.

Go with the flow. As log as its in something with the lid secure, even if it does roll about a bit, it shouldn't come to any harm.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Storage

I made some what I believe in nautical terms are called "Fiddles".

Basically to store cans jars and bottles. Its a wooden framework divided into squares can and bottle size. One and a half cans high and as long and wide as you want.
Fortunately most cans and bollles are approximately the same size.

The overhead cupboards are divided with lengths of telescopic curtain rod attached to 30mm discs each end and secured with Blue Tack (they haven't moved in 4 yrs)
I can PM you some pics if I can.

Steve

·
Registered
22 Posts
We keep all our bottles and jars in small plastic bins. Not only does everything stay upright and in place but it makes it very easy to lift down the whole bin to look for what we want to use. If anything did break or spill (and it hasn't happened yet) the mess would be contained in the bin and be a lot easier to clean out than if it spreads throughout a locker.

We also put some non-slip matting underneath the bins to stop them sliding around too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.