Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Does anyone know where I can buy a battery for my Toshiba laptop? Model is an "A100-147"

I have been in a few shops and also had a look at Currys on line.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,557 Posts
I don't know if anyone else does this, but apart from the one we use in the MH, we take the battery out and store it away, we have 3 on the go + the MH one, all with no battery, why charge up something if you're not going to use it, it wastes energy/money, and the don't last forever anyway.

So unless you actually use it mobile and need a battery, don't bother replacing it, I'm sure there is a refurb outfit somewhere, like they do for drill batteries.

Kev.

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Battery

Kev

I have just read something similar on the internet - remove the lap top battery if you are on the mains. I think I read ot on here a few months back too.

Russell

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
When i turn on my pc,the words." Computor does not regonise the battery , press any key to continue "
Does that mean my battery is flat ?.

Les

·
Registered
498 Posts
Removing laptop batteries

You are right about removing the battery from a laptop. Two things age the battery - continual use and heat. If you need to use the laptop away from the mains you obviously need the battery but leaving it in with the mains switched on when you are using the laptop just heats it up and shortens its life.

Not all batteries are equal. Expect the cheapies that you see advertised to have a shorter life. The art is to find the middle ground - a reasonable battery at a reasonable price.

Ray

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Hi,

The advantage of leaving your laptop battery in while hooked up to the mains is that you have a built-in uninterruptible power supply. My Toshiba switches automatically to battery power if there is a mains power cut. That's not as uncommon as you think. Maybe crashing and data loss isn't as important to many of you as extending the battery life. I use my laptop for working from home most days so taking the battery out would be a no-no.

Cheers,

SD

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,557 Posts
SpeedyDux, is of course absolutely right, and I only removed mine as it just made economic sense, not paying to charge it, and then not having to pay to replace it then pay to charge the replacement, no one told me to do it, just common sense, and never had a problem (so far, where's me wood gone) but if it's your lifeline or livelihood, keep the battery, better still buy a spare now, before it's a panic buy, even better if you're not using it mobile too much get a docking station, I think they give the UPS function, and you can have your battery on the side waiting to go for a walk.

As for the "Computer does not regonise the battery" I googled it and found the following 2 sites, see if they help you.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=71548

http://www.geek.com/forums/topic/dell-inspiron-1501not-recognizing-the-battery-on-boot-2

Kev :black:

·
Registered
607 Posts
I read the best way to use a laptop was to not use and charge at the same time so I always charge mine first and when its fully charged it automatically turns off.When I use my laptop on mains fully charged the charging light is off suggesting this does the same as removing the battery. This seems to work on a laptop and a little netbook.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Rapide561 said:
Hi

Does anyone know where I can buy a battery for my Toshiba laptop? Model is an "A100-147"

I have been in a few shops and also had a look at Currys on line.

Cheers
I've had good service from Any-Batteries both for camera and laptop batteries.

My laptop battery failed a week before the year warranty ran out and they replaced it without question.

(Actually, it might not have been the battery at fault. The pin inside the mains power socket on the laptop had broken off and hence the battery may not have been receiving power to charge.)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Charging light

The charging light on my laptop also goes off when the battery's charged. But it still gets hot so it sure doesn't mean that it's not being at least trickle charged. The issue of it providing a UPS function isn't there for me as I've UPS's across my home network - if the power goes off everything, NAS, modem/router, network switch et al just carries on. It's very satisfying when the power does go off!

Ray

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.