Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
12,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have always been tied to school holidays for our summer get-away and have booked a ferry months ahead. This year we can be more flexible on dates( we're retiring :D ) but, for various reasons, we can't book a definate date until the last minute. We've also got a motorhome not car this year - though not a big one.

Has anyone had experience of last minute booking at peak season ? If you are prepared to do unsocial times /any crossing then is there likely to be a place or is it chock full from the end of term onwards ?

G.

· Registered
238 Posts
Last year changed my mind on destination for holiday due to poor weather and booked a tunnel crossing only 10 days before I went at beginning of August-thing was, it cost me only £148 and my motorhome is 7.5 m.This year booking early has only saved about £20.We crossed in afternoon at about 3.00pm and returned 9.00am

Leapy
Always sailing into the sunset!

· Registered
980 Posts
Sorry, can't help but I was about to start a very similar post to yours if you don't mind my tagging along here..?!! Our case may be even worse as we may have to do a last minute booking before or after Xmas!! We were planning to travel by Norfolkline as I understand they are quite flexible about the time of travel (we could book the OUTWARD trip possibly and we wondered if they'd be flexible re the return trip date..anyone know?!) Of course they have the wonderful £88 return offer until the end of June...! We wish they didn't charge £20 per dog however as we have 2!
Grizzly - are you planning to use Norfolkline? Ana xx

· Registered
2,601 Posts
:D If it's any help? We usually leave the UK the middle of September and I book 3 to 7 days beforehand on the Net. It depends on where you want to go from and where to.

· Registered
1,367 Posts
£20 per dog! 20 quid? Is this a misprint? If it's £88 for MH & people how come it's half that for two dogs. Are they the size of a Shire horse?
that is astounding! I can afford the MH but not the dogs! LOL :lol:

· Registered
12,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ana; Norfolkline is a definate possibilty -anyone who'll do us a cheap crossing though!

I noticed that Norfolkline also have an offer at the moment connected to some WW2 commemoration event - can't remember the exact details but you do not have to be going to the event.

wish I could book NOW !

G.

· Registered
980 Posts
Calliope - very interested to hear this but was it very expensive?
Digger - our dogs are YORKSHIRE TERRIERS!!! I think it's expensive too as the £88 covers the motorhome and FIVE people!! And IF they made a mess wouldn't it be in our motorhome LOL?!
I can only presume that it is an admin charge associated with the Pet Passport scheme worse luck! Ana xx

· Registered
2,601 Posts
:D I was only joking about the mess GypsyRose it's not for the mess they would make and is most probably to process the Pets Passport. We love dogs, but are so selfish that we do not want the expense of owning them anymore. Instead, We doggy sit for our friends. Dutch, and English (living in Spain). :D With regards to booking a motorhome and the costs. I cannot understand why a 4tracker with caravan around 12 metres long is cheaper than our motorhome at 9.5 metres. :evil:

· Premium Member
1,353 Posts
We were holidaying on the IOW late July last year.
The weather was c--p so drove to Dover to catch the ferry to France.
When at Dover i rang MTC ( Motorhome Ticket Club ) who are in all the M/H mags.
Got to Dover at about 12noon, on the ferry by 14.45. £138 return.
Also got holiday ins through them at the same time, £88 X 1yr for the family.
The CC wanted £176 for the ferry, and would not give us holiday insurance because we had left home.
Dont forget your E111 form. Might be called E111S or something now.

I have no connection with MTC.

Regards

Frank

· Registered
980 Posts
What great advice that was fdhadi!! I "googled" it to get the web page and was very impressed .. couldn't seem to book the return for 2006 but got a quote just to have an idea on early am crossings with Norfolkline and got quoted £38!! RETURN!
May well take a chance on the ticket booking then and use MTC a lot nearer the date in December... thanks very much for telling us about it! Ana xx

· Registered
2,601 Posts
:D That's right fdhadi. I forgot to mention in my post that we use MTC. We have been using them for insurance (not anymore - another story) and ferry tickets for around 9 years. We have always found them to be cheaper than the actual ferry companies. 8)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.