Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
12,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, time for the next update in the rebuild saga !!

Well the site is coming together, still bugs looming in there, but we are slowly but surely finding and killing them ;)

Most of the standard functionality of the site is back now, and even some extras added such as the recent topics section above the forums, related posts at the bottom of posts and ability to add attachments and images directly into a post rather than having to upload them elsewhere first.

The chat rooms are in and working and are the new type that doesnt require popup blockers to be disabled etc.

The shout box on the front page is getting utilised to good extent :)

The photos section is back and being populated very fast but still well organised thanks to the hard work of Chris aka The Oggies.

I recreated the downloads section and people are submitting files so that is growing fast

I recreated the weblinks section and due to the sterling work of some of our members they are growing very fast.

The motorhome sales section is back in and running, i still need to enhance it a little but its fully functional and ready for adverts. All the adverts are completely 100% free now as it was simply too much hassle having to mess around with such small amounts via paypal :)

The calendar section is back but needs someone to volunteer to enter in the UK and Continental MH related events ???

so all in all progressing very well, above and beyond my expectations anyway, we are also gaining our userbase fairly fast up to >500 members after 1 week. I believe out of our existing 6500+ members we had before the crash that a percentage would have been completely dead/unused accounts anyway due to people having account issues and creating a new account and also other accounts where the member is a non contributor.

As for the way ahead, here is the path i am looking at with the current info.

1. I spoke to recovery company on Friday and they said there is a good chance some of the file structure on the primary drive will be recoverable but didnt know on the secondary drive. I have to contact him tmrw for a progress report.

2. Regardless of the results i intend to install the campsite database, weighbridge, dealer etc databases as blank dbs for now.

3. Friend finder module will be added over forthcoming week

4. Rally organiser aid will be added within next few days

Now regardless of whether the data on the hd is recoverable or not we are pressing ahead with the current setup as i believe it is in MHF best interests as this framework is much more secure and easier to code for, and it is also much faster.

The current default theme which is T-Platinum will be enforced across the board as otherwise the use of other themes causes many more issues that it solves. This will be enforced from this forthcoming Saturday.

For those who dont know there were a couple of new addons that came with the new site to your profiles, if you go to your forum profile you can switch on Quckly Reply mod which allows faster and easier replying to threads in the forums.

Thanks to all the donations on the site the drives are in the hands f the recovery experts

As for the data itself on the drive, starting with the sql database for the forums, the problem with it is that if the data files i need are recovered is that they will be in a specific format that has the user_id (which is a number allocated to each and every member of the site) these user_ids will not match with the user_id you have on the forum on the new site, this means i cannot import them in and match them up to your new accounts.

I Will however with some fudging around be able to import the posts in as a made up user, i.e. make a user account in the database called archiveuser for instance and then import all the posts and he suddenly becomes the top poster by a long shot ;)

As for the database files for the campsites/specifications etc etc these can be imported in ok but again any records that previously matched up to old accounts cannot be matched up with new accounts.

There are soooooo many good ideas floating around on the forums atm about the future of the site and its good to see people are considering its future as more than just a website now and more of a club type affair.

I'll update again soon

Dave

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
Thanks for keeping us informed as to progress and thank you the stirling work you've put in to bring the site back to something near normal.
It is much appreciated.

Now you really need a good long holiday. (Around Europe?)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Great news Dave,
don't quite get haw you do this (
For those who dont know there were a couple of new addons that came with the new site to your profiles, if you go to your forum profile you can switch on Quckly Reply mod which allows faster and easier replying to threads in the forums.

Didn't know you were into surfing/waterskiing :lol:

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
TheOggies said:
Didn't know you were into surfing/waterskiing :lol:
It seems a long time since Dave and Julie were surfing down the SW coast of France. Damn those lost posts!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.