Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We don't really cycle (it's near lethal with a husky in tow) - but I've been given a nice Marin MB & thought it might come in useful for shops etc. Our van came with a Fiamma bike rack - is it OK to leave the bike on it most of the time? I assume I'd be able to padlock it to the rack?
We don't really do populated areas - but we do wild camp & go off for the day occassionally. We've never encountered any crime (touch wood) - but would an unattended bike be too much temptation?

thoughts \ comments appreciated.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Kelcat said:
We've never encountered any crime
Either you are still a baby or you live in the sea!

I wouldn't lock a bike on a cycle rack and leave it too long. Opportune thefts are the worst. Attach it to your leisure batteries for a laugh!

Shane.....

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Hi.

We have our bikes locked on the rack all the time when we are travelling. Also they are locked to the tow bar when we are on any site.

steve & ann. ------------ teensvan

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Now I see your lovely husky and think - just a few more and Bob's your uncle - or bobsleigh anyway. You wouldn't need the bike then! Something on wheels though. It'd be no good with my collie x - he'd have us in the nearest river he came across.

As to your bike rack, couldn't you put the bike inside the van when you are out for the day? Now I know nothing about these things though - not having a van yet - but I sort of assumed that's what we might do.

Lesley

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Hi

We chain the bikes to the rack using good quality chain and lock. The Strikeback alarm accessory loop is then wrapped around the bike frames and wheels etc (I even try to remember to switch the loop on) and then they are covered.

If we are crossing by ferry then the bikes will be stowed in the garage in case it costs us more as it takes us over the 9m length when the rack is down

Andy

·
Registered
409 Posts
Our bikes are secured for travel - no special gear. Leave them on for most of the year. No problems.

Had the cheap one nicked in a supermarket in UK once. You need the security once you take it off the rack. Specially if it's a high bike rack like my Hymer!

·
Premium Member
22,842 Posts
Ours are held on when we use the van, we have a high tensile chain with square section (apparently makes it harder to cut through) + a siren padlock (from Shepton Show). plus a D shackle and a simple combination lock.

These three have successfully deterred theft so far, it would need to be a determined opportunist thief and it's a Halfords Bike anyway on the outside (MrsW's AS electric bike is behind that without the battery. We never leave any accessories on e.g. pump, speedo, water bottle, pannier etc.

The chains and shackle all go round the frame of both bikes and the bike rack, all round different bits of the rack to reduce unbolting or a single cut being enough to allow removal.

We have used a cover but it is a major task to put it on or take it off.

If the bikes are off the van they are chained around large metal or concrete structures - there was a thread recently about someone who chained them round a tree and the perishers cut the tree down!

Good luck, it's worth investing in reasonable security so that you can claim off insurance if needed (check it's covered - ours are on house policy).

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Carry your bikes, lock them up then don't worry about it. Unless you park in a seriously high crime area often, it's not worth making your life miserable worrying about a theft that might occur once in 20 years. But also why tempt thieves by carrying a super expensive bike when a normal one will do.

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
jhelm said:
But also why tempt thieves by carrying a super expensive bike when a normal one will do.
But if you do want to carry expensive bikes to use on (for example) a fairly intensive cycling holiday, it doesn't cost very much to include them as a specified item on your household insurance.

One word of warning though - and don't ask me to explain it 'cos I could never get a satisfactory answer!!!!!!

Mrs Zeb fell off her bike in France and damaged the front wheel, which I had replaced while still in France.

The insurance company refused to pay up for the cost of the repairs (receipts submitted of course) because . . . .

wait for it . . .

Mrs Zeb was riding it at the time!!

Absolutely true!! 8O 8O

Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.