Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:? I think we still qualify as newcomers - four weeks now! We have three solar panels and two leisure batteries. We tried to use the electric plug in our B694 (1990 model) and nothing happened. We noticed under the drives seat is a "contraption" which links to the batteries. Could someone please explain what the leisure batteries are capable of doing. Do we need any other items to make the plugs work - i.e. an inverter - whatever that is. Any help would be really appreciated.
:oops: :oops:

·
Registered
652 Posts
By plugs I assume you mean those sockets that look like the ones you have at home?? :? If so, they are for mains so they will work when you are "hooked up" to the mains supply, nothing to do with the leisure battery.
The leisure batteries deliver DC current for things like your water pump and lights. You may have a cigarette lighter fitting for appliances such as your TV and this runs off the leisure battery too. I have a solar panel which is more than adequate.
An inverter converts your DC battery power to AC current but that's all I can say about them as I have not bothered going that route....but someone will be along before the night's out to put you right :wink:

overthehill

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Photo of the contraption or at least some detail off it.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
The contraption could be a number of things, like relays, control unit for the solar panles & etc. Best if you do as George suggests and try and take a photo of it, Iknow these things can e awkward to get at, but over the web its the only way we can help

·
Registered
652 Posts
This sounds like the "contraption" I have under the driver's seat in my Hymer, it is a vented steel box roughly the size of the battery but I have never investigated it other than to notice that there are yards of cabling going between it and the battery, and out the other side through trunking towards the control panel over the door. One so called "expert" who lives locally told me it was the van engine battery 8O now even I am not that stupid.....It is certainly linked to the battery system but not the solar panel, which was retro fitted and has a small control panel in the wardrobe (although no-one has ever explained how or what is controlled). I have assumed so far that it is the "brain" of the 12v electrics.........

I will be interested to know myself what it is so will await the post with the photo with interest 8)

overthehill

·
Premium Member
13,788 Posts
Are there any switches, buttons, sockets, plugs, labels, or is it just a box? Cables coming out from where, going to where, looking like?

Could be inverter, power supply, relays, ......., or maybe just a box :roll:

Dave

·
Rest In Peace Mike, 1944-2017.
14,576 Posts
Hi Sundial

The folks on here will be very helpful to you with your "newbie" problems and will eventually get you sorted out. But if I may suggest another way to get some help if you are, as you sound, a bit shakey on the various systems that exist on your van ( we all were, in the beginning!). Try to attend a rally of motorhomers. there are a few planned for the members of MHF and you would be welcomed at them. You will only have to ask for help and you will I am sure be overwhelmed by offers. At rallies I have attended I have lifted the bonnet to check the oil and without exception someone will walk over and say " need any help" :lol:

Have a look here:

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/forum-12.html <<click here for info

You would also be welcomed at any of the almost weekly rallies held by the Motorcaravanners Club.

http://www.motorcaravanners.org.uk/ <<click here for info

Your Local group is the West Country group ( a really friendly bunch of folk) and I am sure if you turned up at one of their rallys and joined up you will find lots of exprienced help will be offered.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/geoffc/AWCGsite/ << and here for your local group

In the meantime as George suggests try to give us more detail of the "stuff" under the drivers seat or better still some pictures.

Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
solar panels and batteries

the item under your seat is the main distribution unit it charges your batteries when on mains,converts your mains to 12 volt,and is full of relays and fuses..everything goes through it.thats why its connected to your vehicle and leisure batteries and mains inlet socket.if you ring deepcar they will sell you a translated copy of the hymer manual.(they did for me when i bought my first hymer which was a german import 5 years ago)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.