Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read recently in one of the mags that the reason continental visitors dont use beam deflectors is because the the dipped light spread is different to ours and causes no dazzle to oncoming traffic, if that is the case then why is there any need to change your lights for the MOT,can anyone throw any light on this? rgds deegod

· Registered
84 Posts
our last van was a LHD euramobil and came with a new 12mth MOT last year with black sticky tape on the lights, since then we'd been told ( by several non-experts) it wouldn't pass again .. so we were a little concerned when we took it ourselves this year.. but the chap took one look and flicked a switch on his gadget, said they were low and adjusted them for us ...... and it wasn't a dodgy back street garage :D they deal with 100s of american RVs and european campers

· Premium Member
9,766 Posts
Hi

I imported a LHD 2001 Fiat which naturally had continental light units. I subsequently fitted RHD units which had an identical lens pattern to the LHD units but reversed. More recent lights may have little or no offset, or offset can be accomplished by adjusment of lens or bulb. I presume that the lenses with no pattern are all of this nature. Certainly on the Ducatos up to 2002 the lens patterns are identical but opposite handed.
When I had my first MOT done the tester was not at all concerned that the LHD lights were taped for correction. His attitude was that he was only interested in whether the light patterns were liable to cause dazzling of oncoming drivers, he had no interest in how this situation was achieved. My 1948 Triumph has mechanical dipping reflectors with no beam offset on dip and the MOT testers take exactly the same attitude . If your MOT man is pedantic then use a different tester, he is probably overstepping his authority - but argueing with MOT testers is distinctly non-productive in my experience.

Gaspode

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi

I just had my LHD Eura mobil tested on it's third bithday 2 weeks ago , still with it's origional LHD lights - fitted black tape on lights for dipped beam - speedo still in kmh and it passed 1st time - no problem.

Again this was ith a proper garage - in fact the garage that maintains and tests the cities buses. So seems no problem.

· Registered
204 Posts
I was given the original LHD headlight units with my van when I collected it from the dealer. What I want to know now is how easy are they to change over, or is the black tape option the easiest answer?
John

· Registered
284 Posts
Hi Giok,

I have a LHD pre-facelift Ducato (2002) for which I have RHD & LHD headlamp sets. It takes about 15 minutes to swap them over, assuming that there are bulbs already in each set. I swap mine routinely before leaving home dependant upon trip destination.

On a pre-facelift model, you need to start by removing the four screws that hold the long trim panel with the Fiat/Peugeot emblem on and move that out of the way. Following that, it is simply a matter of unfastening 3 nuts and a wire clip at the back of each lamp unit before disconnecting the multi-plugs and pulling the whole unit out towards the front.

Nobby

· Registered
280 Posts
LHD Lights and MOT

2001 LHD Elnagh Marlin Slim 2

MOT. 29.07.2006 at RPH Motor Repairs, Stafford.

Passed...lights masked with duct tape (as last year).

The only "fault" highlighted for LHD drive vehicle last year was the requirement for a new fog light on the passenger side. ie right hand.

When in Europe I remove the tape from the lights and also the bulb from the RH fog lamp

Sheringham
:p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.