Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that is living full time in France. He has a Hymer on UK plates and it is a RHD he has been told that because it is over 3.5t and is RHD that he can not re register it in France. He now has to find an insurance that will insure him. Any one any ideas?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi, Not sure about the weight limit for insurance here in France but most campers are certainly plated at 3.5 tonnes unless they have three axles Mine is a Hymer on a maxi chassis and is only plated at the 3.4 tonnes. I have been told that UK campers which are RHD and have the habitation door on the UK nearside cannot be reregistered in France. Being RHD is not in itself a problem when rematriculating a vehicle. If it is a Hymer I would imagine that the habitation door is located on the same side as LHD vans. Has your friend consulted any of the insurance companies or is he listening to hearsay ? He should contact the local DRIRE office and they will give him chapter and verse, They have been very helpful to me in the past. Hope this is of some help.

Regards, Tom

Toujours a Vacances !

·
Premium Member
27,745 Posts
Hello flyboy and randonneur,
I have recently reregistered my 2000 LHD UK reg Hobby 750 FMSe in France.
It did take six months and close to €1,000 to do it. As it's 4,500 kg it's classed as a Plus Lourdes and I had to have a HGV MOT at €85.

I guess mine might have been a little easier being LHD and having the Hab door on the right. But friends have also reregisted a UK RHD with the Hab door on the left and the only thing the DRIRE kicked up about was the step must have an audible and visual indication when it was out. So he took it off.

Anglo Info also has an info sheet detailing how to register your motorhome and caravan in France but even armed with this the French can change the rules from department ro department.

Ray.

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
Issue

Bonjour!,

Does that have anything to do with his licence?

If you are over 3500kG's I understand you cannot drive on a car license in France.

How far south Tmax?

Trev.

·
Premium Member
27,745 Posts
Hi flyboy,
Tell him to download this quite detailed advice on registering campers and caravans in France.

http://normandy.angloinfo.com/countries/france/caravan.asp

But as always things vary and one thing our Prefecture required was a Controle Technique LESS than one month old.!!!!

Ray.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.