Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought two 100 amp Elecsol batteries (it's easy to swop over when one is tired) ... but I haven't really got space to link them together. I have nice stand alone CTEK charger (if there is an electric supply nearby) and my Lunar Pinnacle Van charges when the engine runs. I am a bit of a Sky Sports freak so i use my inverter quite a bit to run my box which I know is very naughty but that's not going to change. What I'd like is a bit of help as to how good my engine will be a charging my battery. How fast does an engine charge a leisure battery? If I choose to stay onsite and just run the engine will my leisure battery get fully charged? Do I need a very small (silent!!) generator or can I cope with what I have.
I'd really welcome some help on this.

pete

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Running a big diesel engine just to charge a battery is a very inefficient use of energy. You would need to run it for several hours to charge a battery from flat. I would get a small quiet genny (800W) or possibly a large solar panel.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hi peteincambridge

Forget battery charging from running engine as trevorf says takes too long (a matter of hours) and is energy inefficient anyway.

A small 1kw Honda/Kipor genny or a good size solar panel 80watt would suffice.

You could try saving battery power elsewhere - ie LED lighting and being judicious with other 12 volt equipment.

All the best

David

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
ebay item number 230341439737 £55 is cheapest option !!

See other post which refers to Machine marts new Clarke genny for less than £300

·
Registered
81 Posts
peteincambridge said:
Thanks for this ... very useful. Next question I suppose is ... What is the best option for a cheap(ish), small, silent Genny? It probably won't get too much use.

pete
If you don't anticipate using it too much then why not bite the bullet and instead read a book or listen to the radio,,,,,,,,,, or go for a walk,,, or nip down the pub,,,,,,,,,,,,,, or pretend to make babies

·
Registered
18,012 Posts
Hi Pete in Cambridge

How much time do you spend watching Sky Sports? And how often are you away from hookup, and where are you when you're away from hookup?

Probably the most cost-efficient method of charging a battery is to use a generator, but be aware that they can be considered antisocial to those around you (if, indeed, there is anyone around you). A 'nicer' solution is to use a solar panel, but they're expensive to get one that will charge your battery enough to compensate for a number of hours use (daily) of the TV / inverter (if that's what you're talking about).

Gerald

·
Registered
205 Posts
peteincambridge said:
You can see I'm still learning. Are you saying the silent/suitcase Honda EUI 10i or the Kipor IG1000 are still too noisy if used (from say) 11.00 am - 5.00 pm.
pete
I don't think it is a question of time of day. Some people sit outside their motorhome for most of the day perhaps reading or enjoying the peaceful surroundings. Imagine the reaction if someone started a lawn mower nearby and you will start to get the picture. I am not saying you should not use a generator but you may get some very hostile reactions unless you are a good distance from other units.

·
Registered
18,012 Posts
orian said:
Imagine the reaction if someone started a lawn mower nearby and you will start to get the picture. I am not saying you should not use a generator but you may get some very hostile reactions unless you are a good distance from other units.
I think this is a very good analogy. CLs have few (if any) facilities, and are used a lot by people wanting to get away from it all.

I suspect you should really look at twinning the batteries up (linking them) and buy a big solar panel. Even that might not be enough to keep you going in the winter months (unless you travel nearer the equator).

Gerald

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
Aberdeen Angus wrote:
So you're planning on finding a nice peaceful CL and then running a genny so you can sit inside and watch telly.

No, he will probably take the telly outside to watch it - with the sound turned up to overcome the noise of the "silent" genny!

The last CS we stayed at was the most beautiful quiet spot imaginable - apart from the birds (including jays).
The rabbits were fairly quiet though!

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
I don't know about that Clive I've just done 6 weeks without using hookup at all in Northern Scotland with my new 130W panel. Ok most days we moved but only sixty miles a day on average say 2 hours engine. We averaged one campsite night in four, this saving alone will give me a reasonable pay back time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all these comments. It makes me smile how people sometimes take comments to the extreme.
I love peace & quiet, I watch birds and love walking the labrador ... but I have very bad hips (so sometimes can't walk at all) and I do love rugby / cricket and I like to be able to keep in touch with people for family emergencies.
I like keeping my options open. I haven't parked near a "silent" generator yet ... and obviously I need to as I wouldn't dream of annoying others ... so i'll be wandering round looking for one on my next site.

I am new to this game and everyone I've met so far has been great. My wife and me will be free from work from late July and with our labrador we'll have some fun. I'm doing my research before then.

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Gennies

Hi Pete

Many sites do not allow the use of a generator come hell or high water. In my view, it is less offensive than a kig throwing a frisby and banging a football about.

One thing to consider though. I do not know the cost of the equipment such as a generator, solar panel and so on, but also the extra gas you might use when not on EHU. I read on another forum of someone who had used 6kg of gas in three days for the heating. On hook up of course, this probably would not have happened - assuming dual fuel heating. I looked at options and decided for me, EHU was the way to go. Many sites overseas are on a pay as you go basis, and some in the UK are the same. In the summer, EHU is less of a requirement as the days are lighter and warmer etc.

I do agree about conserving what power you have though, using LED lighting and so on. I have found that when not on hook up, I use a lot of 12v battery energy to provide the power to the fan on the blown air heating.

In respect of silent generators, I take it from the above postings that they are not silent at all???

Russell

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hi All

Just an aside re: the above thread - although I have a 1kw Kipor generator, I have not had to use it on site in the UK during the three years I have owned it.

However, I do test it out about four times a year in the back yard.

I purchased it when I was quite new to motorhoming and was erring on the side of caution.

It now sits in the shed except when we go to Europe - 'cos you never know!

Cheers

David

PS: I wouldn't do without my Gaslow system though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.