Motorhome Facts Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening good people,
i am looking at installing a solar panel on a autohome starspirit 2002 , the controller fitted is a pms5bwah . my question is , would it be fine fitting the solar panel via a solar controller then splicing into the battery feed on the back of pms5bwah am thinking this will benefit from feeding the battery when nothing is in use and passing the power from solar direct into the controller to the items in use.
if anyone has any idea if this will be ok or any disadvantages then please comment.
thanks all

·
Premium Member
22,582 Posts
I installed two panels via a controller and connected that to the battery feeds. The leads from each of the panels is inline fused, just for safety. It has worked well.

We also have a small briefcase style panel which I stand on the dashboard to catch early morning sun, also feeding via the same controller and it works well too. I rarely connect to the mains and have been very pleased by the installation.

Probably the most useful thing I have added to the MH.

Our panels are mounted on aluminium supports, these are stuck yo the well cleaned roof using Sikaflex. The frames are mounted onto the panels using self tapping screws that will just go through the metal, held in by anti shake washers.

Mounting the panels and controller took me about half a day, the cables enter via a gland fitted entry point.

I have somewhere, got a download of how to do it which I could probably find if it would help....

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
We are only just getting round to doing this on the fifth wheel. Any recommendations on where to source the panels.
As we are in Spain atm we thought we might pick them up a tad cheaper here :) We went to a motorhome show yesterday but the panels they had for sale were too small for Chris's liking. I didn't see them as I was holding the dog beside the stand.

·
Premium Member
35,618 Posts
Plenty are made in Spain. I'd look on Ebay. .es that is.

Reactions: patp

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I installed two panels via a controller and connected that to the battery feeds. The leads from each of the panels is inline fused, just for safety. It has worked well.

We also have a small briefcase style panel which I stand on the dashboard to catch early morning sun, also feeding via the same controller and it works well too. I rarely connect to the mains and have been very pleased by the installation.

Probably the most useful thing I have added to the MH.

Our panels are mounted on aluminium supports, these are stuck yo the well cleaned roof using Sikaflex. The frames are mounted onto the panels using self tapping screws that will just go through the metal, held in by anti shake washers.

Mounting the panels and controller took me about half a day, the cables enter via a gland fitted entry point.

I have somewhere, got a download of how to do it which I could probably find if it would help....
yes if you have it i think it would help thanks

·
Premium Member
22,582 Posts
The bolts that it shows on the brackets are simply to ensure the correct thickness of Sikaflex they do NOT penetrate the roof skin but are simply spacers. Once the Sikaflex has hardened, they can safely be removed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.