Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just clutching at straws here but our 9 year old 70" Sharp TV has had a colour malfunction. Soon after warming up it will distort the image as if one of the primary colours is missing and gives some horrible pictures on screen.

I have checked it's not an input or ariel and confirmed it's the same with any input or even no input at all. The menu is the same as are the menu screens.
So it is the actual TV at fault.

Any ideas or is a replacement the only option? Google suggests all the things I have tried.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
22,851 Posts
Happened to our Toshiba, again about 10/11 years old, sometimes comes on perfectly, other times only a random arrangement of colours, no sound, nothing discernible, turn it off, on again, same thing, can do that 6 or 10 times, suddenly it works again.

I suspect it’s what used to be called a ‘dry joint’ but as there are many thousands, my fingers are cr9p at feeling objects smaller than a brick wall so I think I’ll stick with the new set we got in the U.K. last time we went “because we feared it was on its last legs.

Presumably, they have an in-built time capsule, get to 10 years and start inventing stupid intermittent faults, just as a warning !

Its either that or neither of us have paid our 132€ TV license which has just been abandoned ! 🤫

·
Premium Member
27,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave. Nothing lasts forever and suddenly in the last 12 months quite a few items seem to have come to the end of their lives. We might not be too far as well.
So a new and larger TV is imminent $$$

Ray.

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Blooming heck Ray can you go larger than 70 inch? We have a 55 inch one in our main room but I'll have my work cut out trying to persuade Mrs GMJ that we should go bigger next time.

·
Premium Member
27,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eggzackery G. 45 years ago when I bought a 29" Sony and put it in the corner of our lounge in UK my wife kept on about how it was far too large and 'dominated' the room.!! Ha ha.
I have always liked and bought large screen everything inc monitors. And then I got the same complaints when we went to 42", 50" and then 70" all the same complaints but who spends more time clutching the remote watching gardening, cooking and house makeovers?

I would like to buy an 85" but it would not fit in the space available. So sadly only a 75" will just fill the gap between fireplace and french doors. We all gotta make compromises. ;)

Ray.

• Haha
Reactions: GMJ

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
I reckon 60inch would suit for us next time but as the current one is only 4 years old it may be some time...

·
Premium Member
27,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes G but the trend is larger and I see 42" is no longer the average.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
I'll be working on Mrs GMJ nearer the time Ray.

Reactions: raynipper

·
Premium Member
8,337 Posts
We bought a new tv when we moved into the bungalow. The salesman advised against the largest ones as there is some sort of ratio where you end up turning your head to watch it. Our lounge is about 7m x 7m and we got a 40 in. Like Pru, I love my tv programmes, especially horse racing, but I don't want them so that I have to turn my head to follow them.

·
Premium Member
27,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As you can see there is just a bit more room for a larger one. I like to be able to read the washing instructions on the girls underwear at Wimbledon.

Ray.

Attachments

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: GMJ and Pudsey_Bear

·
Premium Member
31,759 Posts
LOL! We only have one working Tv in our back lounge at home now and I think it's a 32" :D

Hardly ever watch it myself. Just get a decent laptop and stick your face right in front of it and you can pretend your at the cinema as it's then massive! Also in the adverts you can tab to MHF :D

·
Premium Member
27,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is 'sad' Baz. Personally we (I) can't watch a 2 hour film on a squitty laptop screen ever.
I need to feel in the action. And how people actually watch a film on a phone gawd only knows.

Ray.

Reactions: Matchlock

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,670 Posts
We are happy with our 43" telly, don't see the need for bigger.

to enhance your movie pleasure you can buy a fancy speaker which you screw to the bottom of your chair or sofa it works on the bass noises and is great for watching films like Jurassic park or jaws, much more realistic, an old mate of mine has one and it's really weird what a difference it makes.

·
Premium Member
27,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But is he deaf like me?

Ray.

·
Premium Member
27,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Deafness is individual like sight loss. We are all different and one prescription does NOT fit all.

Ray.

Reactions: GMJ
1 - 20 of 112 Posts