Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,736 Posts
We ended it using a mix of gaslow and calor on our four month uk tour of the Yorkshire coast, Isle of Arran, South West Scotland and the Lake district. LPG in all those places was sparse but no bother finding calor so not much of an issue. Best to have both here in the UK.

·
Premium Member
31,736 Posts
We ran out of Gaslow LPG on Arran and obviously there was no other choice than to go to the 6kg Calor which is fine. When we left after seven weeks and hit mainland Scotland the only choices were two in Kilmarnock. One was out of order and the other Morrisons had some although I feared I would get refused as I heard they were a bit funny these days but our filler is on the side so we got it no bother. That was it though until we found somewhere on the south coast of Scotland to top up but their system wouldnt put any in for some reason (had that before) and that was it. Nothing in the Lake District (Penrith had it but we were on our way home by then and they were shut until November anyway).

I like the 6kg Calor as it fits easily on the back of the scooter so I can go off and get Gas anywhere if we run out without moving the van. Keep wondering about changing it for a 12kg Calor but might be a bit of squeeze on both the bike and the gas locker.

Of course mainland Europe, especially France they are everywhere (LPG or GPL As they call it over there). Their pumps and fittings are much easier to use than ours also.

·
Premium Member
31,736 Posts
Twunt. Actually the 6kg is ideal as it straps onto the pillion dead easy against the top box. I could easily fit a 12kg on though I guess as the Kayak goes on there also and it has to be bulkier than a gas bottle but its just the weight with my dodgy knees and back plus it leaves space in the gas locker with just a 11kg Gaslow and 6kg Calor. 12kg would last a lot longer though. I think we get about two weeks in summer out of the Calor off grid and three to four out of the full Gaslow.

·
Premium Member
31,736 Posts
I have a load of bungees and both the Kayak and the 6kg strap on really securely with them but 25kg is a lot of weight just held on with straps. Think ill stick with the 6kg. It works for us and is generally just a stopgap until we can fill the Gaslow. It always causes a few confused looks when I turf up on the bike somewhere to change the bottle :D

·
Premium Member
31,736 Posts
I was passing a lorry on the N10 today while going past an entry. A motorcyclist pushed into the rather short space between the lorry I was passing n the one in front, then decided to enter the outside lane in front of me. He wobbled considerably in doing so n I thought he might go down. When in front of me I could see he had only one pannier, on the outside, and I'm guetjere was something pretty heavy in there to cause the wobble. A bit scary for me - maybe he's used to it.
You definitely need any weight of a load on a bike central but the most important thing is it shouldnt be able to move. In theory you should be able to carry a lot of weight if you think a Pillion might be up to 100kg. Kayak weights about 15kg and a full Gas bottle probably about the same. you dont notice it really.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.