Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to forego the usual Sunday Roast this evening, and fancied toast and......

Well, I plumped for Bovril on the first two slices and although spread in a pig like manner, it seemed to be lacking bite. I couldn't spot any obvious counterfeit on the jar, so I assume its gen stuff.

I moved to Marmite for the second 2 slices, and have managed to induce stinging numbness of the roof of my mouth in just over a slice using similar quantities as the Bovril.

So is Bovril (still good as a drink) not able to stimulate my jaded (much curried) palate, or have I just got to stick to Marmite in the future.

Your personal prejudices would be most welcome.

On another note, has anyone any decent recipes (other than soup) for using the several jars that we have secreted around the pantry and the Motorhome?

M&D :)

· Premium Member
10,389 Posts
I have Marmite for breakfast every morning. Love it.
But a blob no bigger than my little finger nail is enough for 2 slices!

The first time I had it was about 1948 when my Mum gave it to me.
Spread on like jam. Yuk.
Never ate it again for years.

First produced as a means of using the residue after brewing beer, I believe.

· Registered
12,963 Posts
Put a good spoonful in mince plus some tomato ketchup. Use for cottage pie or spaghetti.

I don't eat Bovril after hearing tales from a friend who did a holiday job in the Bovril factory - many,many years ago so I'm sure it's all changed now 8O )

G

· Registered
160 Posts
Marmite or Bovril

BOVRIL every time :lol:

I love it in a drink or spread with marg or preferably dripping on to toast then put back under the grill till sticky and Bubbly. Delish. Had it since I was a nipper and still enjoy it at 43.
Also spread on bread and add lettuce for a quick tasty sandwich. :D Excellent in fact I think Ive decided what to have for lunch tomorrow.

Marmite YUK

Julie

· Registered
903 Posts
Hi guys,

Don't want to be a kill joy here,i love marmite but do not eat it as it can help lead to a thing called Candida,to much yeast causes an imbalance,if you get athletes foot,thrush(ladies only)avoid this and mushrooms and sugar, like the plague.

Can't believe you weren't sick Dave 8O

· Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hymmi said:
Hi guys,

Don't want to be a kill joy here,i love marmite but do not eat it as it can help lead to a thing called Candida,to much yeast causes an imbalance,if you get athletes foot,thrush(ladies only)avoid this and mushrooms and sugar, like the plague.

Can't believe you weren't sick Dave 8O
Funnily enough..Mandy said the exactly the same to me this morning?...something to do with myalcohol consumption at the Midlands Rally!! :oops:

Dave :wink:

· Premium Member
10,389 Posts
Re: Marmite or Bovril

Julie said:
BOVRIL every time :lol:

Also spread on bread and add lettuce for a quick tasty sandwich.

Marmite YUK

Julie
I was going to mention but forgot.
I like Marmite in a sandwich with lettuce.

Bovril YUK.

· Premium Member
10,389 Posts
I also like a cheese sandwich with strawberry jam spread on the cheese.
How strange is that?

· Premium Member
10,389 Posts
wurz said:
Its gotta be Marmite all the way ...... but have recently been buying Vegemite .... close contender! :lol:
Isn't Vegemite the Australian one.
I'm sure I've seen it in Neighbours.

No, I've a sister in Australia and Mum went out there to live. Mum used to take Marmite back out to Australia for my sister when she used to come here for visits.
Said there was nothing like the real stuff.

· Premium Member
10,389 Posts
I'm sure the biggest hurdle to liking Marmite is understanding that a_very_little goes a long was when it comes to spreading.
I went Yuk the first time I ate it.....spread on like jam.

· Registered
31 Posts
My 4 yr old son is the only person in the family who likes Marmite. He came across it at nursery and is gradually eating up all the free samples I was given when pregnant. I suppose I will have to buy some one day :( .If it's spead thick enough he scrapes it off and eats it off his finger 8O .
I used to like Bovril as a drink (never tried it on toast) but it started to taste funny. Finally I looked at the ingredients and they'd changed it from beef extract to yeast extract, so I suppose it is like Marmite. This was to appeal to the vegetarians :!:
Tesco do an own brand one which is beef (or was last time I looked) but I haven't tried it. Why can't they just leave things alone - I think I'm turning into a grumpy old woman.....
Andrea.

· Premium Member
10,389 Posts
andrea said:
...............................Finally I looked at the ingredients and they'd changed it from beef extract to yeast extract, so I suppose it is like Marmite. This was to appeal to the vegetarians :!:
Andrea.
Most probably something to do with changing the image and the CJD problem.

· Registered
896 Posts
autostratus said:
I also like a cheese sandwich with strawberry jam spread on the cheese.
How strange is that?
I used to love jam and cheese sarnies when I was little, but since then I guess the adult thought processes kicked in and I now have trouble accepting that those two particular ingredients ever tasted good together. I am sure that if I ever get up the guts to try it again i'd love em.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.