Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe the wattage/amps on French campsites is often not as high as on British sites.

So what is the common maximum wattage I can expect on EHU in france?

Will it work my 1600w hairdryer?

Sorry, I'm not very technical - my husbands given up trying to explain reverse polarity to me!!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
You may get away with 1600 watt hair dryer on some sites but you will have to make sure that everything else is turned off.
There are two other options, one is to buy a lower wattage hairdryer and the other is to have a haircut with the shears set on number 4 or less. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
France amps

Hi, I think you will find most private sites will give you a choice, for which you pay accordingly! Most municipals are 6 amp, but don't take my word for it, go prepared! :roll:
curlyboy

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Whilst some French sites are generous with their mains supply and might match the CC at 16 amps, our experience is that many French sites only manage 5amps which at 220 volts would allow 1320 watts. 8O

If the water heater has been left switched on from the previous site, at say 1800 watts, as soon as the power is connected at the new site the circuit trips out. :oops:

We have managed to trip the supply by having the water heater on 900w (4.5 amps) then putting the kettle on. Another 750w, 3.5 amps. It's a case of knowing HOW MUCH power is available and HOW that power is being used.

Some French sites offer different amperages and you pay accordingly. The last site we used last June saw the caretaker/groundsman simply take an appropriate MCB from his pocket and fit it in the consumer unit.

We've spent the best part of a year trying to reach the point where, if we are on a site, we don't need a mains hook-up. We added a second battery, added a 400w inverter, changed all the halogen bulbs to LED and had 'our own' Snellyvision fit a 120w solar panel.

The proof of the pudding... :roll: :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.