Motorhome Facts Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
There are NO gears in a standard Diff that affect performance. You have to get into the realms of heavy commercials before that changes.

There is a Hypoid Bevel Pinion and a Hypoid Crownwheel. These can vary in ratio to suit different applications. A HIGH ratio (that means the difference in number of teeth) between them gives more torque and less speed. A LOW ratio between them gives less grunt and more top end speed.

At least the OP has got something to go on now, or possibly he is more confused and wishes he had not asked. :smile2:

Anyway, I have a trip to plan, so I will clear orff.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
There are NO gears in a standard Diff that affect performance. You have to get into the realms of heavy commercials before that changes.

There is a Hypoid Bevel Pinion and a Hypoid Crownwheel. These can vary in ratio to suit different applications. A numerically HIGH ratio (that means the difference in number of teeth) between them gives more torque and less speed. A numerically LOW ratio between them gives less grunt and more top end speed.

At least the OP has got something to go on now, or possibly he is more confused and wishes he had not asked. :smile2:
Fixed that for you, it's correct now.

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
44,206 Posts

There is a Hypoid Bevel Pinion and a Hypoid Crownwheel. These can vary in ratio to suit different applications. A HIGH ratio (that means the difference in number of teeth) between them gives more torque and less speed. A LOW ratio between them gives less grunt and more top end speed.

You have me a little confused Jim

I can't show actual figures as I don't a have a manual to hand, but top gear on a lot of stuff is around 1:1 so direct drive, but 1st gear could be 7:1, so to me that is a higher figure, but a lower ratio than the 1:1 top gear, I think that's at least correct, but the OP has a choice of the ratio for the rear axle, for me having experienced a fully loaded sprinter (albeit a 312 and 313) I'd opt for the lower ratio for a MH conversion, giving the whole transmission an easier time.

I think this might help the OP

Reactions: mgdavid

·
Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,183 Posts
Fixed that for you, it's correct now.
Editing other people's posts is very bad form.

But actually your additions are completely superfluous. Ratios are numerical by definition. Adding the word numerical doesn't alter the meaning, it simply creates tautologies, Alan.

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
44,206 Posts
So why are we back to gearboxes Kev? :frown2:
As you point out the rear axle normally is a fixed gear, so no easy ratios to illustrate high or low, but a gear box has several so you can show a low gear has a high ratio number to 1.

Do keep up dear :)

Reactions: mgdavid

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
Kev, this has all been a waste of time.

The OP only has to ask himself one question. What goes flying past him at 90 mph on the Motorway?

Is it white VAN man in a Sprinter, or Bob the Builder with his Concrete Mixer on the back?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
If I had know I was going to create a fuss I would not have asked the question, but thanks to you all anyway.

I told himself that we are looking at panel vans and he has dragged me to Bawtry to look at Carthagos this afternoon. 42 years of telling me that nothing but a Mercedes would do, has suddenly change now I have suggested a panel van conversion. I must admit that the Carthagos are very nice the problem as usual is my feet do not reach the pedals, but we are used to working around the problem.

·
Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,183 Posts
Ahh well you obviously have a leg ratio problem then.

What we need to know now is your inside leg measurement to seat height ratio, you may need a high (or low) ratio seat.:wink2:
Numericallywise obviously.

Reactions: hondaboy
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.