Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Metal shavings in glass

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Jezport 
#1 ·
Hi, been installing tinted bonded windows and discovered that couple of windows I'd already fitted seem to have caught some hot shavings from cutting holes for later fitted windows. Little specks on inside of windows. A lesson learned there: cover your existing windows. Anyone have any advice to remove and improve how they look pls? I can live with them, it's just a bit annoying. Never saw this raised in any tutorials/videos. Any help/advice will be appreciated.

#3 ·
Welcome Eric, acrylic can be very forgiving and responds well to elbow grease. This link will hopefully help, it covers everything from the worst damage to fine polishing.

#5 ·
Sadly, it will also depend upon whether the shavings were hot enough to melt through the plastic as I suspect it is a double glazed unit with a gap between the two layers. If it has done that you may well see condensation forming INSIDE.

I do not know if there is anything that you can do if it has, perhaps a dab of eg UHU to seal before polishing ? But that is only a suggestion, I have never dealt with such a problem.

I am sure that they will NOT be glass, use of glass was stopped by regulations due to danger, glass is also very much heavier.

#7 ·
If they are glass it's very unlikely the metal shavings will have marked them. Glass melts at a very high temp.
So it's either a film on the glass (if so replace the film) or they are acrylic in which case polishing is your best bet.

#8 ·
Hi yes I think the shavings have melted tiny specks in the film, some have stuck in the film as I'm guessing they're unlikely to have melted the glass. Maybe heating with hair dryer might allow me to remove pieces of metal? I imagine replacing the film might be an expensive job so I think I'll have to live with them. Thanks all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.