In ALDI next week Thursday 21 May.
Mini Digital Satellite System at £64.99
Quote:
Tunes into up to 220 TV channels
Fully portable digital free-to-air-satellite receiver kit
Stores upto 4000 channels
Mains or 12v dc
Kit consist of:
hard carry case containing 35cm dish,receiver,satellite finder and compass,10m cable,1 x1.5 SCART cable ,and all the fixing.

Would this be worth buying or just a waste of money

Les

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Got one last year and screwed the base plate to roof of van. I can reach up through the heki to adjust dish once on site.

It gets a better picture than my mates oyster system at a tiny fraction of the price.

BUT. It isn't automatic, I have to remember to fold it down before travelling, and it takes, oh, minutes to set up.

I use the receiver at home with a dish I got from the local satellite wholesaler for £25.

It has worked from Oban and grantown on Spey in the North to Peterboro in the south. Also in Germany.

Does what it says on the box.

David

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I have the last Aldi kit - cost about £50 - tested only - bought as a backup and never used - for sale if you are interested!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve,their not due into the shop until next Thursday.
It`s showing in their Specialbuy catalogue which you can pick up in the shop.
Sorry i do not have link to the web.

Les

·
Registered
557 Posts
zappy61 said:
Can you get all the normal freeview channels (inc 4 & 5)?
Depends what you mean by normal. You can get BBC/ITV/C4/C5.

You can't get some of the other Freeview channels like Sky Sports News, Dave, Virgin 1, Five US and Fiver amongst others.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
derek500 said:
zappy61 said:
Can you get all the normal freeview channels (inc 4 & 5)?
Depends what you mean by normal. You can get BBC/ITV/C4/C5.

You can't get some of the other Freeview channels like Sky Sports News, Dave, Virgin 1, Five US and Fiver amongst others.
Thanks Derek,

I read somewhere that channel 4 and 5 was a problem. Looks like a good buy then?

Graham

·
Registered
557 Posts
Re: satellite free to air channels

zappy61 said:
If anyone wants to see what channels are free to air this is a useful >Site< Definitely getting one of the kits from Aldi next week.

Graham
Unfortunately that site is way out of date, far from useful!!! Still shows C4 and C5 as FTV.

Also it shows channel numbers for a Sky box which are irrelevant for an FTA receiver.

·
Registered
134 Posts
We've got a similar system, bought from Macro's sometime ago. Works fine everywhere we've been, simple to set up, we have just put ours on the floor and secured with tent pegs, no worries! Used on both 12v and 240v no probs.

Happy viewing. :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,468 Posts
b16duv said:
Got one last year and screwed the base plate to roof of van. I can reach up through the heki to adjust dish once on site.

It gets a better picture than my mates oyster system at a tiny fraction of the price.

BUT. It isn't automatic, I have to remember to fold it down before travelling, and it takes, oh, minutes to set up.

I use the receiver at home with a dish I got from the local satellite wholesaler for £25.

It has worked from Oban and grantown on Spey in the North to Peterboro in the south. Also in Germany.

Does what it says on the box.

David
How do you fold it down with the LNB arm stuck out?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Aberdeen,

The arm which takes the LNB is jointed, and it folds flat when packing away - although you may need to take the LNB off to put it inthe case.

And yes - any decoder will work on the the dish / LNB setup, including SKY (although you'd ned to upgrade the LNB to a Dual version if you want Sky+ functionality)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi, Les, We purchased the maplins version in march, It was a bit awkward at first to find the satelite but once found recieved great pictures, and if your t v is H.D Ready you can get H.D with this system(free-sat) go ahead and buy it, better than paying hundreds for something that does the same thing. Regards Dave.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.