Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I have been reading some of the threads on internet access & am probably confusing myself (more than normal :oops: )

So here's my dilemma :?
We currently have a BT Landline (£11.75 per month) + Tesco's 'dial-up' internet (£11.95 per month )
But......we are often away for months on end & although able to 'switch off' the internet, sadly the BT landline is still payable :cry:
So regardless of use, a minimum monthly bill of £11.75 & maximum £23.70

We use a mobile phone for most of our phone calls anyway & the landline scenario is looking impractical for us :?

I read of a member who no longer has a landline and uses a 3 dongle and is happy doing this.

Has anyone else done this & does anyone have advice as to which 'dongle' / provider is best for Uk & Europe :?:
NB when abroad we usually look for Free hotspots (such as McDonalds) but would love to have more access for research (& MHF of course :oops: )

I hope this all makes sense :)
Help please, any advice would be great 8)
Regards Catherine

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Internet

Hi Catherine

My advice....

1) Log on to all the dongle providers and check coverage for various locations.

2) Forget Europe for now. Three was available without further charges on it's sister networks, but that is no longer the case. Cheapest way to surf overseas seems to be McDonalds WiFi or free WiFi on campsites etc.

My friend has an Orange dongle and they tell me "it works everywhere except Clumber Park CC site". I also find that my T Mobile service is often available - albeit it a low speed, where THREE offers no speed at all.

Russell

·
Registered
313 Posts
We do this - we only have a mobile phone for calls and texts and we use a "mobile broadband" dongle for internet use - at home and away. Total monthly bill is 25 (phone) + 15 (internet) = £40 pounds

We use an Orange internet dongle, on contract, and we've never come close to using our 3GB per month limit. Coverage has been excellent in the UK although sometimes the connection is a bit slow when we don't get a 3G connection - It probably still beats your dial-up connection though.

You take your choice on dongle providers, it's all about which network has the best 3G coverage in the area you're going to. If it is for touring then no-one has perfect coverage of the UK.

Russel is correct, if you take a UK broadband dongle abroad and just use it, the roaming charges are horribly expensive. It can be done more cheaply, but you'll need to be confident about getting the dongle unlocked from the UK network and then buying a foreign 'broadband sim' in each country you visit.

When we go abroad we simply use free WiFi hotspots like McDonanalds.

If you want to try a "mobile broadband" dongle then you can currently get one for a fiver at http://www.3dongle4free.co.uk/ . I know it sounds like a scam but you really can get a pay-as-you-go dongle from them for just the P&P. There are those who have doubts about 3's network coverage but it won't cost much to give them a try.

hope this helps

Michael

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Russell & Michael.
Thanks for the info especially re Europe & McDonalds.
I will dig around & see who gives best coverage in my area as I think that may be where I use it most (to keep up to date on MHF usually :lol: )
Regards
Catherine

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
broadband

Take a look at o2 broadband dongle. you get free wi fi at Mcdonalds and many other sites including pubs, restaurants and motorway service areas. I can get o2 gprs when I cannot get a 3 connection so although o2 might not have the same HSDPA coverage as 3, at least I get something. I will ditch 3 and stay wirth o2 I think. £15 monthly for 3 gbts. Importantly you get 30 days to try it and if you don't like it you can hand the dongle back and cancel the contract.

·
Registered
7 Posts
mobile broadband

hello Catherine - I use o2 also and i find it is the best service around
i tried 3 and vodaphone but the speeds and coverage were not so good as
o2

Regards - perrywinkle.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Vodafone is the fastest and IMHO has the best G.B. coverage. It might be me that is quoted in the original post as I use 3 at home in Berwick because it's the only HSDPA one here. Nowhere near as fast as Vodafone when it's 3G+ though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've just bought in the Vodafone shop their pay as you go mobile broadband dongle. £34 on special offer and £15 a Gig as you need it.

The dongle will be unused from September through to April, (fair weather motorhomer), and the sales assistant assured me that the usage picks up again where it left off, something the other networks don't do - allegedly.

I have BT at home and also make use of the free access to wi-fi spots via the Fon and others networks.

Moley

·
Registered
27 Posts
mobile broadband

I use t-mobile, it used to cost £29 a month, when my contract ended I phoned them and told them I could get the same coverage for £10 a month and they matched that without an argument. I find t-mobile fast and I seem to get excellent coverage wherever we travel, but do not use it abroad.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Moledrain said:
I've just bought in the Vodafone shop their pay as you go mobile broadband dongle. £34 on special offer and £15 a Gig as you need it.

The dongle will be unused from September through to April, (fair weather motorhomer), and the sales assistant assured me that the usage picks up again where it left off, something the other networks don't do - allegedly.

I have BT at home and also make use of the free access to wi-fi spots via the Fon and others networks.

Moley
From the Vodafone dongle manual: "If you do not use your broadband for a set period of 180 days of topping up, unfortunately your credit will expire and your broadband will be disconnected."

I find that ambiguous. Do they mean you have to top up at least once every 180 days or merely use it within 180 days of your last top up?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi All :D
Thanks for all the advice 8)
Thats a lot of research for me then 8O re coverage & cost's :idea:
Do any more members use dongle's instead of landline's :?:
Thanks again
Catherine

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
DocHoliday said:
Do they mean you have to top up at least once every 180 days or merely use it within 180 days of your last top up?
I was reliably informed (? 8O ) that it means you must use it at least once in that period to keep it "live".

Just opening MHF and browsing a page or two would be enough. :lol:

Dave

·
Registered
702 Posts
We have been without a land line now for over six months and the method that we've chosen seems to be working very well.

First I have a Vodafone dongle. Now I'm not going to get into which dongle you should go for because I haven't tried them all but all I can say is that Vodafone has a very wide coverage, Internet access is very fast and the price is very good. I was particularly lucky with my contract which was taken out just after Christmas. They had a special offer of half price if you had another Vodafone contract. So I took out a 30 day one which I canceled a couple of months later so now I am paying £7.50 a month for 3 GB. Obviously you must look at your local coverage and keep your eye out for any special offers.

Now of course you can use Skype, which I do, but more normally you are calling mobiles and land lines and SkypeOut, while reasonable, does cost. So I then took out a contract with Orange called the Raccoon 15, which apart from a 300 free minutes a month gives you unlimited free calls to all land lines in the UK. One of the great advantages with this is that I feel it's a little bit unsociable to expect your friends to pay the cost of calling your mobile from a landline. So, if they ring us now we just call them straight back.

An annoying problem with mobiles is you have to pay for calling 0800 numbers but Martin Lewis has solved that for me and you will find the information on his website. I even get free directory enquiries. I'm afraid that you still have to pay for 0845 numbers but I use the Say No to 0870 website with some success.

The total cost of all this is under £23.00 per month and I'm not going to claim that it's better than many of the landline deals currently available but in our circumstances, and possibly yours, it really does work.

Ian

·
Registered
163 Posts
I find 0800 buster very useful

you simply dial 01229310800 which should be charged at landline prices then it tells you to dial the 0800 number you require, no one looses out and you should get the call as part of your inclusive minutes.

Just the 0845 and 0870 to sort and its all free minutes, I use saynoto0870 when i can but very often people have it pointing to a diffrent department and they cant put you through. The main thing i look for or ask is for their international number, this is very often a landline number pointing directly the same phone system as the 0870 number, its amazing how many people put both numbers on paperwork when you read the small print.

Just reminded me to connect my emergeincy voda dongle and browse a page or two to give me another 6 months lol.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ianhibs said:
We have been without a land line now for over six months and the method that we've chosen seems to be working very well.

First I have a Vodafone dongle. Now I'm not going to get into which dongle you should go for because I haven't tried them all but all I can say is that Vodafone has a very wide coverage, Internet access is very fast and the price is very good. I was particularly lucky with my contract which was taken out just after Christmas. They had a special offer of half price if you had another Vodafone contract. So I took out a 30 day one which I canceled a couple of months later so now I am paying £7.50 a month for 3 GB. Obviously you must look at your local coverage and keep your eye out for any special offers.

Now of course you can use Skype, which I do, but more normally you are calling mobiles and land lines and SkypeOut, while reasonable, does cost. So I then took out a contract with Orange called the Raccoon 15, which apart from a 300 free minutes a month gives you unlimited free calls to all land lines in the UK. One of the great advantages with this is that I feel it's a little bit unsociable to expect your friends to pay the cost of calling your mobile from a landline. So, if they ring us now we just call them straight back.

An annoying problem with mobiles is you have to pay for calling 0800 numbers but Martin Lewis has solved that for me and you will find the information on his website. I even get free directory enquiries. I'm afraid that you still have to pay for 0845 numbers but I use the Say No to 0870 website with some success.

The total cost of all this is under £23.00 per month and I'm not going to claim that it's better than many of the landline deals currently available but in our circumstances, and possibly yours, it really does work.

Ian
Hi Ian & Thanks 8)
Very useful post & I think you are right my circumstances would benefit from such a set up, given that we are often not home for months on end & are paying for a landline that we don't need except for a bit of research & MHFing (is that a word I wonder :oops: )
Also I love Martin Lewis (not literally of :lol: course ) & will check out deals soon.
Many thanks to all for their contributions :D
Regards Catherine

·
Registered
193 Posts
Moledrain said:

Moley
I also have been thinking of getting a Vodafone dongle and have just checked their website for a mention of your special offer without success. Do you think that it was just your local shop doing a one-off ?

Mike

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi, we are in Spain so different moble phone setup but as we will be away for months on end we intend to "turn off" the landline, internet and tv subscription. Saving at least 70 euros per month. Looking at contract mobile and McDonalds WiFi!

Anyone with Spanish contract experience please let us know - thnx

·
Registered
521 Posts
madontour said:
We do this - we only have a mobile phone for calls and texts and we use a "mobile broadband" dongle for internet use - at home and away. Total monthly bill is 25 (phone) + 15 (internet) = £40 pounds

We use an Orange internet dongle, on contract, and we've never come close to using our 3GB per month limit. Coverage has been excellent in the UK although sometimes the connection is a bit slow when we don't get a 3G connection - It probably still beats your dial-up connection though.

You take your choice on dongle providers, it's all about which network has the best 3G coverage in the area you're going to. If it is for touring then no-one has perfect coverage of the UK.

Russel is correct, if you take a UK broadband dongle abroad and just use it, the roaming charges are horribly expensive. It can be done more cheaply, but you'll need to be confident about getting the dongle unlocked from the UK network and then buying a foreign 'broadband sim' in each country you visit.

When we go abroad we simply use free WiFi hotspots like McDonanalds.

If you want to try a "mobile broadband" dongle then you can currently get one for a fiver at http://www.3dongle4free.co.uk/ . I know it sounds like a scam but you really can get a pay-as-you-go dongle from them for just the P&P. There are those who have doubts about 3's network coverage but it won't cost much to give them a try.

hope this helps

Michael
Hi michael. Ive been looking for info on PAYG 3 dongle My question is If I top it up with say £20 .How long does it last does it run out at end of month even if its still got sat £5 left . Ive asked 3g but got no response
Ramos

·
Registered
248 Posts
ramos said:
Ive been looking for info on PAYG 3 dongle My question is If I top it up with say £20 .How long does it last does it run out at end of month even if its still got sat £5 left . Ive asked 3g but got no response
Ramos
The 3 PAYG top-up only lasts a month - anything not used expires. The only real PAYG (& you still have to connect every 180 days) is from Vodafone

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.