Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have a phone contract with Orange for £35 for 1200 mins, unlimited texts and 500mb of internet access. The internet access is fine but I never use up that amount, I wondered if there is anyway I can use it to access the internet using my laptop? I have one of those dongle things my sister gave me for emergancies, she got it free from BT and has a small amount of free usage every month but I never use it because it quite expensive after you use the freee time plus I have to give her it back.
Can anyone help.
Thanks
Victoria

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Hi,
The short answer is yes. I am on o2 with an old Nokia, I had to download the Nokia PC suite (free) and everything you need is there. You have to connect the phone to the laptop and the best way is with a special lead. It would probably be best to contact Orange direct for any info,
Regards,
Chris
PS a friend of mine was on a similar deal to you and phoned orange to cancel as it was too expensive, they gave him the same deal again for £15, worth a try.

·
Premium Member
31,739 Posts
Yes you can. It will depend on what type of phone you have as to the sort of connection speed you get. I have done this loads of times when I was with Orange. I now have a Vodafone dongle. You probably have the right lead but you may be able to use blue tooth also. If you call Orange and if you get to speak to the right technical people they should be able to talk you through setting up a dial up network connection, they give you some codes to put in, then you just have a shortcut on your desktop so all you should need to do is plug in the phone, double click the shortcut, connect and once connected start browsing.

Good luck
Barry

·
Registered
753 Posts
500mb doesn't sound like much, but for emergencies would be ok! Most charge a pound per day which would work out cheaper than a dongle, if the phone is a standard mobile it has a different sim card, the more advanced ones (forgotton what they call them! lol!) share the same sim as the dongles.

If you have a contract phone with orange, and get the full internet package, you get a free dongle included with 3gb use on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.